1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Messenger

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lyk2no, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

Running XP Home SP2
    I now have "Windows Messenger" when I D/L SP2. I remember I uninstalled a "Messenger" on SP1. My question is, Will the SP2 "Windows Messenger"
    give me any problems? If so, how can I uninstall? :confused:

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

It shouldn't present any problems at all. You can go into the Preferences and disable it so it doesn't start when Windows does and in Outlook Express there is the same option for messenger. Do you use it? Are we talking about MSN Messenger?

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

AHAHAHAHAHAH, I just did the SAME thing and just posted about it!

Although my installation of SP2 went perfectly, without a hitch (dispite sweaty palms and heart palpatation), the thing RE-INSTALLED that horrid Windows Messenger! It did cause me problems in that I have MSN Messenger contacts and I would be shown online to them, even when my MSN was turned off. They would contact me and that ugly Windows Messenger window would suddenly pop up. Very annoying, since I had the MSN turned off because I didn't want to chat right then! Even with all the settings turned off, everytime I rebooted, Windows Messenger came back on.

Here is my thread and my solution:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2343928#post2343928

4. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

Thank you for the prompt answer.
    No, I am not talking about MSN Messenger. I want to disable Windows Messenger that comes with SP2

5. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

6. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

If you want to disable/remove Windows Messenger that comes with SP2, follow my link above to find a downloadable tool that will do that for you.

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

By default Messenger is disabled in SP2. You can check this though by RIGHT clicking My Computer and choosing MANAGE. Then, expand Services and Applications by clicking the + and then click on Services. Look in the list at the right and find Messenger. It should be disabled.

8. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Emtronics,

I thought that was for the Messenger Service? Not Windows Messenger? [​IMG]

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

There are two different Windows messengers, well maybe 3. Windows Messenger Service, which is designed to run in the backround and be use on a network to inform other computers on a network via a message window. Very few programs use this service as they have their own popups. But, some "ads" can come in via the interent thru an open port ( if forget which one) and all of a sudden you are getting unwanted popups that look like offical Windows. This happens mostly on always on broadband connections.

Another is Windows Messenger which is a real time instant message program like AOL's AIM. This can be controlled via it's own Preferences settings not to start when Windows does. The Xp version is 4.7 and I think 5.0 is available. This will start when Outlook Express is started unless this option is unchecked in OE.

Another very very similar is MSN's Messenger which looks and acts about the same. This is a candied up version that oes the same thing, a real time IM program, but nicer looking interface. To me, they are one in the same.

So, if this messenger is running in the systray, you can stop it from starting by using the program's preferences. Windows Messenger Service does not have an icon in the systray but still can run in the backround and be seen in the Task manager. By default, SP2 disables this service.

10. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Emtronics,

Thank you very much for that explanation. This is how I had understood these three (very confusing) programs, and I'm glad to know I wasn't as confused as I thought I might be :D

One thing I find strange, though, is that when I had SP1, I had actually removed the Windows Messenger (the one related to MSN Messenger) by making it visible and removing it from the Add/Remove programs list. It even showed up as not being on my computer when I went to get Windows updates, cause the update thing kept pestering me to re-install it. This program had been gone from my computer for over a year.

But, after I installed SP2, *bang* it was back again. I had my MSN Messenger turned off, I always do if I'm not specifically in the mood to talk on it, and suddenly a Windows Messenger box popped up. The person contacting me said I showed up as "online" on his list. The window was that ugly little bare-bones Windows Messenger, not MSN. When I checked all the settings associated with it, all of those options were turned on.

So, the only thing I concluded at the time is that not only did SP2 re-install it, but it also turned it on.

So, while SP2 turns OFF the Windows Messenger Service, it must re-install (if necessary) and turn ON the Windows Messenger. :(

Does that sound about right?

And they really should have named them all something more different. Talk about a lack of imagination! :rolleyes:

11. Emtronics

Emtronics

It all depends on the software you use and your computers configuration but Messenger, by default, will probably be set to "start when Windows starts" so you might have to go in to the preferences and reset it again after an SP2 install. I think it's considered by MS to be part of Windows, much like IE is. I have Windows messenger but I have it turned off and have never had a problem with it coming on on it's own. I use AIM mostly and even that program scares me as it is starting to come bundled with "extra" software that "calls home" whenever. If your Windows Messenger is coming on on it's own and you are sure you set it not to, then start looking for something else envoking it. I find that shuting it off versus removing it from the Add/Remove Programs list will prevent Windows Update site from showing you Windows Messenger "updates" and wanting to re-install it.

The reason for 2 Messenger programs is that MS got into the online game with MSN some years ago and they offer not only a better looking messenger program in MSN Messenger but a candied up looking browser. Remember the butterfly? (really IE) They dumb it up and bundle it together. Some people like the look of the browser and it's ease of use.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For future reference, you can disable messenger from Group Policy Editor [if you are using pro, GP is not available on home]. You must be logged in as admin or an account with admin priv.

13. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

Here is my Windows Messenger/ Tools/ Options/ Preferences Tab
    If I untick the first two boxes will I then DISABLE Windows Messenger?

Attached Files:

14. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Yes, that is the official way of disabling it. I believe you must also open Outlook Express and uncheck the option to run Windows Messenger when OE starts.

Just so you know, though, I did all this, back when I had SP1, and it didn't matter, that thing would still allow my MSN contacts to see me as "online" when the MSN was turned off, and if someone contacted me while MSN was turned off, the Windows Messenger would open. I finally had to remove it entirely.

Though now, this tool that I've downloaded and used has seemed to take care of it.

15. Emtronics

Emtronics

Laura, do you use MSN as your internet provider? Do you have broadband? BTW, uncheck all 4 boxes in the General area. Also, if you are signed into .net service (from MS) you will appear to be online also.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice