1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Messenger

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by coachdan32, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coachdan32

coachdan32 Thread Starter

What is the purpose of this program? Is it necessary? Can it be uninstalled and what problems or benefits would come from uninstalling it?

I can't get it set up because it says I already have an account and I can't reset it and when they email the account password, it doesn't come to my email address.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi coachdan32,

Here's the Help and Support on Using Windows Messenger:

Using Windows MessengerWindows Messenger is an instant messaging program that enables you to:

See who is online.
    Send an instant message.
    Call a contact's computer.
    Send someone a file.
    Have an instant message conversation with a group of friends.
    Open Windows Messenger.

Notes

If Windows Messenger is not already running, you can open it by clicking Start, pointing to All Programs, and then clicking Windows Messenger.
    For information about using Windows Messenger, click the Help menu in Windows Messenger.

-- Tom

3. coachdan32

Are there other programs/services that rely on Messenger? Or is it OK to uninstall it?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi coachdan32,

Clearly, on my WinXP Pro SP2, I do not have Windows Messenger installed, and it is not the same as the Messenger Service for Windows.

In order to uninstall it, you can do so through the Add/Remove Programs List from the Control Panel which I accessed on my puter to see that to install/remove it, choose the Add/Remove Windows Components icon in the left-hand panel.

Its AOk to uninstall it without any side-effects to existing software.

-- Tom

5. lister

lister

Windows Messenger comes installed with XP - I don't think you can uninstall it by add/remove programs or add/remove Windows components (just remove it from the Start menu).

If you have XP-antispy, there is an option to uninstall it permanently.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi lister,

Contrary to what you say, I can install it by accessing my Control Panel, selecting Add/Remove Programs, then in the left-hand panel select Add/Remove Windows Components. When I make that selection it shows the Windows Components that I do not have installed, one of which is the Windows Messenger.

I run Windows XP Pro SP2.

-- Tom

7. lister

lister

Did you download windows messenger in a Windows update?

If so you will have an entry in add/remove programs - don't know if installing an update and then uninstalling will remove the old version as well.

Of course it's possible that you have a different build of XP than ones I've worked with.

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi lister,

No, I did not download any Windows Components. As I mentioned before, I run WinXP Pro SP2 and acquired the system from a local PC customized shop that will build your system to your specs. I did not specify what they gave me other than WinXP Pro SP2. It came that way with all of the updates up to April 1, 2005 when I accepted delivery of the system. The custom part of the build was with regard to my system, i.e. dual-boot with Linux FC3 and GRUB rather than with XP itself or its components.

-- Tom

9. coachdan32

This is the fastest way to rid yourself of messenger - I found it with a google search.

Go to Start/Run
    Paste the below script in the run dialogue box:
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    Restart your computer

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice