Windows Microphone Issues (HELP)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

itypesmiling

I'm a musician, and i recently upgraded my entire Digital Audio Workstation; however, when i plug my Microphone in through my focusrite saffire 6 USB, control panel seems to recognise the mic's existence, and can enable it, but when the mic and focusrite are working in order (there's feedback from the mic coming through my headphones), control panel doesn't recognise any activity. Sometimes, it reads as if the mic is constantly receiving one level of sound, at 4 bars in Control panel > hardware & sound > sound > recording, and other times just recieves no input at all. It always recognises the mic though, and claims that everything is in working order. :s. HELP, i need to do recording this week!!! Specs of my system are below. YES, all the drivers are installed.

Computer: Alienware m17x, 12 GB RAM, WDM Sound card, etc. Pretty standard for 2 grand's worth.
Focusrite SAFFIRE 6 USB
sE X1 microphone. Works as a mic and on its own, i just can't get it to input sounds to the computer. It works on my other laptop.

i :
Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Is this the complete brand, model & model # of the computer?
Alienware m17x

Would you describe yourself as a beginning, intermdiate or advanced computer user?

Please run this forum's system info utility & post the results in a reply.
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Open control panel
upper right, set "view" to large icons
Open "Device Manager"
Go to the "sound video & game controllers"
Left click the "+"
Create a screen shot using W7's snipping tool

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

Return to this thread
use "go advanced"
"manage attachments"
browse to the file
upload it
close the window
submit reply

Step 1: Using Windows Sound Recorder to test the microphone.

You can use this section to find out if the computer can record a signal from the

Microphone and play it back. Use Windows sound recorder to create an audio file using the following steps:

1. Plug the microphone into the computer.

2. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, and select Sound Recorder.

3. Click Start recording and speak into the microphone.

When finished recording, click Stop Recording.

A save screen automatically opens.

Type a filename and click Save. A file of type WAV or WMA is created in the Documents folder.

If you can record the Audio using Microphone using the above method then the Microphone is working fine.
Now it should work any application that Supports Microphone. If the computer does not record audio using the above method then it could be an issue with the settings of the Microphone. Now verify the following settings.

Step 2: Enabling the Microphone.

1. Plug the microphone into the computer.

2. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, and select Sound Recorder.

3. Click Start Recording and speak into the microphone.

4. Recording tab showing a detected signal for the Microphone device

Note: Microphone Icon should have Green check mark on it. If there is no Green check mark, it means it is disabled. If there is No green mark on Microphone it never works. To enable the Microphone Right click on Microphone and click on Enable. If you do not see the Microphone in the list, Right click on the White space and select Show disabled devices. Then you would see the Microphone. However, if you do not see the green check mark on it, Right click on it and click on Enable. And also Select Microphone and click on Set Default (If Set as default button is active).

If you see the Green check mark on Microphone the Microphone definitely works.

Step 3: Increasing Microphone Sensitivity and Un-muting the Microphone.

1. Select Microphone and click on Properties button.

2. Adjust the slider until to 100 % of its range.

3. If Mute is on, click the mute button to un-mute the device.

4. If Microphone Boost is available, boost the volume.

5. Click OK to make the changes.
edit
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-7/e706f0d7-786d-4f2c-89eb-f3368b164087

end edit

RF123

itypesmiling

I would say i'm an intermediate computer user - i game and stuff, and am generally rather adept, but have had no training so there's probably tons of stuff i don't know about.

Alienware m17X R4,
intel core i7-3720QM CPU, 2.60GHz
RAM: 12 GB
64 bit os.

That's pretty much it. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

i :
Thanks.
Have you verified the problem's presence with head phones? Could be the speakers.

If the problem occurs with head phones,

YES, all the drivers are installed.
Create a system restore point,
Update your chipset & audio drivers.

edit
And microphone drivers

End edit

RF123

:s

Already tried that, and the problem occurs with both headphones and with speakers.
What is :s?

Do you mean that you have updated all the drivers, too?

Try another microphone.

Try the microphone in a different computer.

Please provide the other troubleshooting steps you have taken, so that your time is not wasted.

RF123

itypesmiling

I said in the other threads; I've tried the microphone in my other laptop, i've used it for recording before and it only recently has stopped working (though the mic itself still works), and i have no other microphone to try. :S. i've dismantled and reconnected all of my setup, fiddled with all the settings on the focusrite. There seems to be something wrong with the computer's recognising the microphone.

Other threads? Perhaps you mean other posts in this thread. I don't know what you mean.

Perhaps there is a problem with the computer's electronics.

I'm not a fan of BIOS flashing.

Is your audio / sound electronic hardware built into the motherboard, or an add in card?

There seems to be something wrong with the computer's recognising the microphone
If the microphone appears
control panel > sound > "recording" tab, W7 recognizes it.
If the device fails to function properly, the cause can only be a device driver or hardware.
It is possible that a program or malware have corrupted the device driver. That's as close to gremlins as we get in computing.

RF123

itypesmiling

I don't think it's built in, as i had to select the components when i bought my alienware. What's BIOS flashing? W7 does indeed recognise the microphone.... but i've uninstaled and reinstalled all the drivers i can think of, for the saffire usb... does that really mean that my sound card is corrupted? I'll try witht he drivers one more time.

Check Alienware [ probably support.dell.com ] for your computer's components. If your Alienware was manufactuered by Dell, you will likely need an express service code. Check the case or all programs > ?, perhaps Dell

does that really mean that my sound card is corrupted
If the microphone appears
control panel > sound > "recording" tab, W7 recognizes it.
If the device fails to function properly, the cause can only be a device driver or hardware.
It is possible that a program or malware have corrupted the device driver. That's as close to gremlins as we get in computing.
Hopefully this is a challenging driver issue.

Have you updated your chipset driver?

RF123

itypesmiling

finally managed to fix it! reinstalling the driver again apparently helped :s weird, it's like the third time i've done it.

finally managed to fix it! reinstalling the driver again apparently helped :s weird, it's like the third time i've done it.
Congratulations! Did you anything differently the 3rd time?
Which driver? Did you include the chipset driver; the mic driver?

Thanks for posting your computer's status.

Please mark the thread solved when you are satisifed with the status of the computer.

?? :s ???

RF123

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts