1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Microphone Issues (HELP)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by itypesmiling, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itypesmiling

itypesmiling Thread Starter

I'm a musician, and i recently upgraded my entire Digital Audio Workstation; however, when i plug my Microphone in through my focusrite saffire 6 USB, control panel seems to recognise the mic's existence, and can enable it, but when the mic and focusrite are working in order (there's feedback from the mic coming through my headphones), control panel doesn't recognise any activity. Sometimes, it reads as if the mic is constantly receiving one level of sound, at 4 bars in Control panel > hardware & sound > sound > recording, and other times just recieves no input at all. It always recognises the mic though, and claims that everything is in working order. :s. HELP, i need to do recording this week!!! Specs of my system are below. YES, all the drivers are installed.

Computer: Alienware m17x, 12 GB RAM, WDM Sound card, etc. Pretty standard for 2 grand's worth.
    Focusrite SAFFIRE 6 USB
    sE X1 microphone. Works as a mic and on its own, i just can't get it to input sounds to the computer. It works on my other laptop.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

i :
    Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Is this the complete brand, model & model # of the computer?
    Alienware m17x

Would you describe yourself as a beginning, intermdiate or advanced computer user?

Please run this forum's system info utility & post the results in a reply.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Open control panel
    upper right, set "view" to large icons
    Open "Device Manager"
    Go to the "sound video & game controllers"
    Left click the "+"
    Create a screen shot using W7's snipping tool

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

Return to this thread
    use "go advanced"
    "manage attachments"
    browse to the file
    upload it
    close the window
    submit reply

edit
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-7/e706f0d7-786d-4f2c-89eb-f3368b164087

end edit

RF123

3. itypesmiling

I would say i'm an intermediate computer user - i game and stuff, and am generally rather adept, but have had no training so there's probably tons of stuff i don't know about.

Alienware m17X R4,
    intel core i7-3720QM CPU, 2.60GHz
    RAM: 12 GB
    64 bit os.

That's pretty much it. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

4. itypesmiling

moreover, i've already tried everything in the quote box.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

i :
    Thanks.
    Have you verified the problem's presence with head phones? Could be the speakers.

If the problem occurs with head phones,

Create a system restore point,
    Update your chipset & audio drivers.

edit
    And microphone drivers

End edit

RF123

6. itypesmiling

Already tried that, and the problem occurs with both headphones and with speakers.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

What is :s?

Do you mean that you have updated all the drivers, too?

Try another microphone.

Try the microphone in a different computer.

Please provide the other troubleshooting steps you have taken, so that your time is not wasted.

RF123

8. itypesmiling

I said in the other threads; I've tried the microphone in my other laptop, i've used it for recording before and it only recently has stopped working (though the mic itself still works), and i have no other microphone to try. :S. i've dismantled and reconnected all of my setup, fiddled with all the settings on the focusrite. There seems to be something wrong with the computer's recognising the microphone.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

Other threads? Perhaps you mean other posts in this thread. I don't know what you mean.

Perhaps there is a problem with the computer's electronics.

I'm not a fan of BIOS flashing.

Is your audio / sound electronic hardware built into the motherboard, or an add in card?

If the microphone appears
    control panel > sound > "recording" tab, W7 recognizes it.
    If the device fails to function properly, the cause can only be a device driver or hardware.
    It is possible that a program or malware have corrupted the device driver. That's as close to gremlins as we get in computing.

RF123

10. itypesmiling

I don't think it's built in, as i had to select the components when i bought my alienware. What's BIOS flashing? W7 does indeed recognise the microphone.... but i've uninstaled and reinstalled all the drivers i can think of, for the saffire usb... does that really mean that my sound card is corrupted? I'll try witht he drivers one more time.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

Check Alienware [ probably support.dell.com ] for your computer's components. If your Alienware was manufactuered by Dell, you will likely need an express service code. Check the case or all programs > ?, perhaps Dell

Hopefully this is a challenging driver issue.

Have you updated your chipset driver?

RF123

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

13. itypesmiling

finally managed to fix it! reinstalling the driver again apparently helped :s weird, it's like the third time i've done it.

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Congratulations! Did you anything differently the 3rd time?
    Which driver? Did you include the chipset driver; the mic driver?

Thanks for posting your computer's status.

Please mark the thread solved when you are satisifed with the status of the computer.

?? :s ???

RF123

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice