Windows Mixed Reality and USB drivers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ThatBeardedGent

I bought myself a lenovo explorer windows mixed reality device and it has stopped working. I'm not sure if this is due to the device or the USB hardware in my computer.

Plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on my PC that port will fail.

Plugged into a powered USB 3.0 hub it will start up but then claim to be plugged into a USB 2 port. Looking at it on usbtreeview the headset does indeed appear on a "Generic USB 2.1 Hub" despite having been plugged into a "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub".

I have tried disabling and re-enabling drivers, re-starting and even got a PCIe USB 3 card, but that has failed to properly install.

Attached screenshot has system specs and the problems I'm seeing circled in device manager and USB tree viewer.

What would you suggest as my next step?

Attachments

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So the new device did work at first ? Is it specified as a Usb 3 only device ? Do the Usb ports it doesn't work in work ok with other Usb 2 and 3 devices ?

ThatBeardedGent

The device was working and it is specified as USB 3 only.

The ports work with USB 2 devices.

I don't have many USB 3 only devices but my leap motion doesn't work in any of those ports so I'm going to say that no, USB 3 devices aren't working in these ports.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think chances are the leap motion device itself is faulty.

If you can try a Usb 3 device like a Usb 3 flash drive and it works in the Usb 3 ports that would confirm it.

ThatBeardedGent

I will try to find another USB 3 device to check the ports.

I'm currently more suspicious of the ports as neither the wmr headset or my leap motion work through them.

If the device is faulty that's easy enough to sort out, I'm not sure what to do if it's the USB ports/controllers however.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ok, let us know how that goes please.

ThatBeardedGent

So I got a usb 3.0 memory stick and tried it in the ports. It works but only as a usb 2 device.

I then put a bootable version of linux on it and tried booting from that. It didn't work and gave the attached list of errors which all say USB.

I'm considering upgrading the bios on my motherboard as my next step.

Attachments

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would try reinstalling the Motherboard's chipset drivers first and Usb 3.0 driver, if any, from the maker's website.

What Motherboard and version of Windows do you have ?

ThatBeardedGent

I have a gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.1) and windows 10 (see image on my original post for version and build).

I just tried updating the chipset drivers and it hasn't fixed the problem, and I've been trying to install USB 3 drivers from the beginning but looking at device manager all the usb drivers are the generic ones.

I'm a bit concerned that there don't seem to be specific windows 10 drivers for any of it (only up to win 8.1), but it was all working fine until a couple of weeks ago.

ThatBeardedGent

I have tried, but windows won't use them.

I've run the installer but checking in device manager they all still use the generic drivers. I've tried browsing to to temporary folder and telling it to update the driver from there and it just tells me that I already have the best driver and won't install the manufacturer's one.

And why would bad windows drivers stop it from booting in Linux?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try uninstalling the Usb 3 drivers in Device Manager and deleting the files if it offers that option then do not reboot just run the Usb 3 driver installer you downloaded and see if it installs then.

ThatBeardedGent

Update:

The ethernet network adaptor stopped working and graphics are not displaying properly in games.

I have re-installed windows and that seems to have fixed the network adaptor but none of the other problems. All my drivers are up to date.

At this point my next step is to replace the motherboard. This would be expensive and potentially might not fix the problem as we haven't gotten to the root of it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online