Windows Movie Maker affects Media Player and WinDVD !!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GrandTiger

I created MOVIE.AVI using FrontCam to do a full-screen capture (1600 by 1200). Video contains some small print.

Playback using Window Media Player and InterVideo WinDVD is poor, small print is fuzzy and a half-inch white border appears down the right-hand side. I’m aware that resizing on playback degrades the image.

BUT if I open Windows Movie Maker AND import ANY video clip (avi, mpeg, or wmv), AND THEN re-open Media Player or WinDVD to play MOVIE.AVI, THEN the picture is perfectly framed (no white border) and the small print is perfectly clear !!! I see that MOVIE.AVI is really very high quality.

If I close Movie Maker then picture quality in Media Player and WinDVD degrades back to same as before. Same degradation happens if I delete the imported video from Movie Maker Collections and keep Movie Maker open.

In short, Media Player and WinDVD both provide much sharper and perfectly framed videos IF Movie Maker is sitting open (minimized) with any imported video file (same or other).

It seems that Movie Maker activates something, but I can't figure out what. I'm suspicious of DLL's (like QASF.DLL, whatever that is) but DLL's activated by importing a video into Movie Maker remain active as long as Movie Maker is open (even after deleting clip from Collections).

I've repeated the same experiment on another computer with identical results. Both computers have Windows XP Professional, mine is SP1, not sure about other.

I'm still thinking drivers or DLL's, but maybe I'm up the wrong tree. Any light on this strange phenomenon would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Grand Tiger

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online