WIndows Movie Maker

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rekilcoyne

I have a question, I have a new camcorder and the files I upload are .ASF, Windows Movie Maker doesn't accept those files. I was wondering why this is because isn't .ASF a windows created file type?

Is there a way around this? Thanks.

rekilcoyne

I never thoguht id have to update, but i did... and yet it still downt work for some reason... here is the screenshot of the error i get.

Attachments

Sorri I can't answer that one. The files open OK on my machine running XP Pro and Movie Maker 2. Hopefully someone with more .asf experience will answer.

Forgot to ask - Are you "Importing into Collection" or just trying to open the file ?

rekilcoyne

"Importing into Collection"

if i try to drag and drop it says '.ASF is not a valid windows movie maker file'

Try this, Click on File then click "Import into Collections." then direct it to where your file is.

rekilcoyne

When i right click it doesnt give me that option...

Would it have anyhting ot do with the .ASF being capitals? if it does i have no idea how to make them lowercase.

Hi Ryan,
Open Movie Maker then click on "File" at the top left of the screen then click " Import into Collection." Direct it to where you saved the file.

Let me know if it works.
Ron

rekilcoyne

LOL, i'm not thats computer illiterate. When I do that the pop up error says:

The File C:\Documents and Setting\party.ASF is not indexed and can not be imported.

I don't know why yours won't open it. Do you have a small asf file you can e-mail me and I'll try it on my computer.

It failed on my machine with the same error. I found this info that we do not have a required codec installed. Is there any documentation with your camera that might say which codecs are used with your camera.
I will try to find some information on the codec we need. In the meantime you can have a look at the url posted below. I downloaded the Windows Media Encoder and tested with it and it does change the file to one that is recognized by Movie Maker. Try the differnt settings to get the best quality video.

I'll be back.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q308/4/64.asp&NoWebContent=1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online