1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIndows Movie Maker

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rekilcoyne, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rekilcoyne

rekilcoyne Thread Starter

I have a question, I have a new camcorder and the files I upload are .ASF, Windows Movie Maker doesn't accept those files. I was wondering why this is because isn't .ASF a windows created file type?

Is there a way around this? Thanks.

2. RonK

RonK

3. rekilcoyne

I never thoguht id have to update, but i did... and yet it still downt work for some reason... here is the screenshot of the error i get.

Attached Files:

4. RonK

RonK

Sorri I can't answer that one. The files open OK on my machine running XP Pro and Movie Maker 2. Hopefully someone with more .asf experience will answer.

5. RonK

RonK

Forgot to ask - Are you "Importing into Collection" or just trying to open the file ?

6. rekilcoyne

"Importing into Collection"

if i try to drag and drop it says '.ASF is not a valid windows movie maker file'

7. RonK

RonK

Try this, Click on File then click "Import into Collections." then direct it to where your file is.

8. rekilcoyne

When i right click it doesnt give me that option...

Would it have anyhting ot do with the .ASF being capitals? if it does i have no idea how to make them lowercase.

9. RonK

RonK

Hi Ryan,
    Open Movie Maker then click on "File" at the top left of the screen then click " Import into Collection." Direct it to where you saved the file.

Let me know if it works.
    Ron

10. rekilcoyne

LOL, i'm not thats computer illiterate. When I do that the pop up error says:

The File C:\Documents and Setting\party.ASF is not indexed and can not be imported.

11. RonK

RonK

I don't know why yours won't open it. Do you have a small asf file you can e-mail me and I'll try it on my computer.

12. rekilcoyne

Ok, but i need your e-mail.

13. RonK

RonK

14. rekilcoyne

ok sent, this should be interesting.

15. RonK

RonK

It failed on my machine with the same error. I found this info that we do not have a required codec installed. Is there any documentation with your camera that might say which codecs are used with your camera.
    I will try to find some information on the codec we need. In the meantime you can have a look at the url posted below. I downloaded the Windows Media Encoder and tested with it and it does change the file to one that is recognized by Movie Maker. Try the differnt settings to get the best quality video.

I'll be back.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q308/4/64.asp&NoWebContent=1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice