1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Windows Navigation Start.wav" file, i.e. "Click" sound

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by IronTailFratley2, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IronTailFratley2

IronTailFratley2 Thread Starter

Hiya, I could use a little help resolving what should be a simple problem. It's really a long story, but to skip to the important part, I'll just recount this little tale:

I wanted to delete some files off of an old external hard drive to make space for some new stuff. It didn't matter, since the files I was deleting had been long since copied to a new drive. However, Vista, in its infinite wisdom, told me I couldn't delete the files, and it was for my own good. I politely said, "okay, Vista! Thanks for keeping me honest!" (y)

But then I muttered, "I already have a mother" under my breath, and proceeded to go behind Vista's back and turn off User Account Control so I could delete the files anyway. Well, I knew that wasn't the best idea, so I immediately turned UAC back on afterwards, but it was too late. Vista caught me, and after the second restart, smote me with a problem I'd seen once before: nearly every program on my computer was said to have been closed after it "encountered a problem" or some nonsense, and when restarted again, the disk checker was run, found numerous problems, and did whatever it had to do to go about fixing them all.

Now I'm not sure what all that was about, because everything seems to be running okay now, save for one minor thing. That little "click" sound you get when navigating windows explorer was nowhere to be heard. I tried another restart and another disk check, but nothing. When I go to the sound personalization window, all other sounds are fine, but the "Start Navigation" sound under "Windows Explorer" shows a little "!" icon next to it, and the "Windows Navigation Start.wav" file that accompanies it is missing. I don't know why, and, more importantly, I don't know how to restore it. It's not like my computer has been rendered useless or my files irrevocably destroyed, but, ya know, I got attached to that little "Click" sound, and I want to bring him back!

If anybody can suggest what may have caused this, that would be great. But if anybody can tell me how to return that long lost wav file to his rightful place, that would be even better! I've searched online, but all I've found are about 17 kajillion pages describing how to disable that sound, but I don't want to disable it, I want to bring it back! Is there a place somewhere in the depths of the internet where I can download the file and place it in the C:\Windows\Media folder, or perhaps a way to restore the original?

Thanks in advance for any response! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice