1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

@&$%^#@!! Windows networking!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Anthony2816, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 Thread Starter

:mad: I can't believe it....it's happened again. I have a perfectly happy little home LAN, with five computers all running WinXP, hooked together via a fast ethernet switch. One computer acts as a server (192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0) and shares a DSL connection with the others, and assigns their local IP addresses. It's been working perfectly for months.

Today, I turn on one of the client computers, and unlike every other day, this time (without me consciously changing anything) this client can't access the network. No internet, and no other computers visible.

I click the systray network icon, and it shows the network connection is sending out occasional bytes, but receiving none.

I check the IP address, and instead of the usual 192.168.0.###, 255.255.255.0, it shows 169.254.111.159, 255.255.0.0. I try the "repair" function, and it naturally fails, with the message "The following steps....failed: Renewing the IP address".

Duh.

Even though I know it won't help, I try renewing with IPCONFIG in a dos window. Similar dismal results.

I run the network setup wizard. It runs successfully....but has no effect.

I try assigning IP/subnet numbers (192.168.0.123, 255.255.255.0) manually, and suddenly I can access the network....but not the internet.

What IS IT with WinXP networking???? When it works, it works great. But I've had this sort of thing pop up seemingly at random before, and it seems like the only thing that works is a complete reinstall of WinXP....and I know there should be an easier solution.

It's like the server's DHCP IP assignment function suddenly decides to stop assigning IP numbers, and I have no idea how to kick it in the behind to get it working again.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I the only one to whom this ever happens?

2. Del

Del

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The client has failed to contact a DHCP server and has assumed the default Microsoft supplied IP address. Either your XP machine has stopped responding to the DHCP requests, or your switch/cabling is faulty.

4. Anthony2816

Johnwill: That's kind of what I figured. I don't think it's a switch/cabling problem, since if I enter a manual IP/subnet address, I can access files just fine. What I need to know is how to kickstart the DHCP service on the server.

Del: Fiasco time! That Knowledge Base article seemed on point, so I tried that command it suggested. The main effect was to completely disable my internet connection. A reboot of the server and modem took care of that, but now my WinXP Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) no longer works!:( Only the server computer (the one directly connected to the DSL modem) can access the internet; *none* of the other computers can do so! I went through the network properties of the modem, and ICS is enabled (I disabled it and re-enabled it to be sure), but still no luck: It said "Cannot enable shared access. Error 1061: The service cannot accept control messages at this time."

I then tried running the Network Setup Wizard. All went fine until the final page, where it merely said "An error occurred during configuration of the network on this computer".

ARGGH!! Now what???

I'm getting this horrible feeling that I'm going to be devoting a day to reinstalling Windows and all the other programs....

5. Anthony2816

Oh yeah....that client computer that wasn't getting an IP address assigned? It still isn't.....

6. Toddles18

Toddles18

Who cares if it's using DHCP or not, as long as it works it works in my opinion :)

7. Anthony2816

Uh, well that may be true, but my reason for posting here is that it *doesn't* work! I started out unable to access the internet from that one client, even when I entered an IP/subnet address for it....and have now "progressed" to the point where *no* clients can access the internet.

Internet Connection Sharing now gives me an error 1061, which I just looked up on the MS Knowledge base....and they've never heard of it (surprise, surprise).

8. Rockn

Rockn

Reinstalling Windows for this is like cutting off your leg because your toe hurts...It's just not necessary. Remove ICS from the Host PC and reinstall it and then set up the clients again. It is only a networking problem and should be treated as such. ICS in my opinion is a waste of time and never works reliably anyway. If you want to save yourself a lot of headaches go out and get a Cable/DSL router with a 4 port switch on it and get more sleep at night.

9. Anthony2816

How would I uninstall ICS from WinXP? I can see how to disable and enable it, but there's no option to uninstall and reinstall it like there was in Win98se.
    Yeah, I suppose that is an option. It's just that this server computer is on all the time anyway, as it also provides data sharing, printer and fax service to all the computers, as well as acting as a telephone answering machine & message center, plus I run an FTP server on it. So it seemed reasonable to use it to distribute the internet connection, as well. When it does work, which is greater than 99% of the time, it works great. But when it gets stubborn like this, there doesn't seem any obvious way to access the DHCP server.

After another reboot, the "error 1061" problem magically vanished, and now all the computers can access the internet again....except for the one about which I originally posted. It still isn't getting an IP address assigned.

I'm gonna go uninstall and reinstall the NIC card (through Windows, not physically) and see if that has any effect.

10. Anthony2816

Well, reinstalling the NIC on the client computer didn't help. It reinstalled, but the new LAN connection behaves exactly like the old one.

No IP address assigned, just gets a 169.254.###.###, 255.255.0.0 address.

If I "repair" the connection, it says it fails renewing the IP address.

Can't access the network or internet.

If I enter a 192.168.0.### IP address manually, with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and 192.168.0.1 for the default gateway, it allows me to access everything on the network...except for the internet. If I "repair" the connection at this point, it says it was successful...but still no internet.

If I then run the Network Setup Wizard, it helpfully replaces my manually-entered IP address with another 169.254.###.### address, removing all network access.

Sigh.

Oh well, that computer is getting a new motherboard on Monday, with a raid array, so it'll also be getting a new installation of WinXP, which will prpbably solve the problem.

Irritating to not know what is causing it, though, or how to fix it short of a reinstall of Windows.

11. Anthony2816

Just for fun, I manually entered my ISP's DNS numbers (in addition to IP, subnet mask, and default gateway) on the offending client. With this, I can access everything on the home network, but still can't access the internet.

I also opened a dos window and did some pinging.

I can ping the other computers on the LAN by name or IP.

I can ping the dynamic IP number assigned to me by the ISP.

I can ping the DNS numbers.

If I try to ping www.yahoo.com, however, it says it can't find it.

If I run the Network Setup Wizard, it erases all the addresses I manually entered, makes the IP address 169.254.###.###, and then I can't access anything on the network.

Any other ideas?

12. Orion

Orion

I get an "access denied renewing adapter" error on a computer that was moved from one office to another after the move. I have tried reinstalling the network adapter drivers, tcp/ip etc.

I have hooked a laptop up to the connection and it comes up on the network perfectly. Therefore, i don't think the wiring is a problem. I have repunched all the connections from the office to the wiring closet anyway.

I am inclined to believe that the network adapter is faulty, there is still something wrong with the various drivers, or... the router just hates this computer for some reason.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 150, the network adapter is a 3Com 3C920 which is compatible with the 3C905C-TX series of adapters. The adapter appears to show that there is a connection -- the link & activity leds are operating & flashing. This feels like a software problem but i am almost at the point where i believe that disabling this adapter and installing a new one is in order.

Any further suggestions or help would be appreciated. :)

13. ramstein

ramstein

Anthony, you don't want to hear this but I agree with Rockn. Internet share was introduced by Cowboy Gates as a gesture in win98se and has been as unreliable ever since.
    You could use some proxy server software but they are a nightmare to setup because most of the menu systems are written by devgeeks for devgeeks.
    Really, I came to Rockns conclusion 3 years ago and decided to invest in a Router/Hub/Modem. They are cheaper now, easy to setup, most of them are pre-configured, all you have to do is enter login and static ip address and start surfing. I don't have the stress now ovver my internet connection like I used to.
    Alternatively, if it makes you feel better, you can join the 'shoot Bill Gates club' :->
    Go for it mate. Rely on hardware not MS software!!! Quickly --- before Cowboy takes over the Hardware industry as well... then you'll be really $ucked

14. Anthony2816

ramstein, this thread was several months old, and I eventually solved my networking problems by formatting the drive of my little server computer. But if I have any further problems in the future, I'll probably do as you (and others) suggest.

Windows Internet Connection Sharing is just fine when it works. But if it doesn't work....watch out!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice