1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows not booting OR reinstalling!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnnypascall, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnypascall

johnnypascall Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Well, I apologise up front if this gets long-winded, but Ive been having tons of problems for over a week which I have been unable to sort out, and have now climaxed into what appears to my newbie eyes as total disaster- my computer wont boot windows, or let me reinstall!!

As Sherlock Holmes always advised, I shall start at the beginning:

1) About 8 days ago (and about a week after installing Internet Explorer 7) I started to suffer problems with Internet explorer. New tabs would suddenly appear in open IE windows, sometimes 2 or 3 new tabs, sometimes 8-10, all trying to connect to numerous different advertising websites, most of which just brought up the 'could not connect to' error message (if I shut off the 'tabs' facility, then new windows would open despite my pop-up blocker). This was abviously very annoying, and caused much system slow-down, especially as it seemed to happen about every 15 minutes (although it could be as long as 3 hours between 'attacks'.

2) Assuming this was a virus I tried to open mcaffee virus scan, which would no longer open! I got an error message saying windows could not find the .exe file (mcaffee worked fine before), I uninstalled mcaffee, but it will not reinstall, and I get given no reason for it not installing.

3) I ran ad-aware, spy sweeper, and that new microsoft repair thing, all of which brought up the usual offenders, plus a couple of trojans. I deleted these, and double checked the windows firewall was still on, which it was not, and when I tried to switch it back on, I got an error message telling me that windows could not access firewall settings! I tried the AVG online virus scanner twice, each time nothing was found.

4) The problem did seem to stop, but unfortunately after returning to my computer after a few hours I found the problem was still there. I repeated the ad/spyware sweeps with the same results.

5) I tried rebooting into safe mode to reinstall mcaffee, but safe mode will not boot. All that happens is that when I press enter for safe mode, I get the black screen with all the setup commands listed, then the computer resets itself. I have tried many times, and the result is always the same.

6) Back in windows I tried downloading any latest windows security updates (only 1 new one, I have all the rest), but that keeps 'failing'. The only thing I could download from windows update was the malicious software removal tool- which found nothing.

7) I tried system restore, but no matter what date I pick, it keeps failing to restore saying "windows could not restore..."

8) After a week of these probs I tried to do a repair reinstall of windows XP, using a slipstreamed SP2 disk I made yesterday. All seemed to be going well, and the blue setup screen reached 0 minutes on the progress bar, then the computer reset itself again, and I had the option of continuing the reinstallation (which goes back to the blue setup screen but rather that having completed the installation e.g. the progress bar is at 0 minutes, the progress bar is back to 39 mins), or leaving the computer to try and boot 'normally. If I do the latter I get presented with the black screen saying windows start-up was interrupted, etc, etc, would I like safe mode, last known good config, or normal boot. Every option I choose results in the same thing- the computer resetting itself! If I try and 'continue the reinstallation' the above process repaets itself- the reinstallation gets 3/4 way through, then the computer resets.

9) With the exception of internet explorer 7, no new software or hardware has been added/updated.

So thats it- I cant boot windows, and I cant reinstall it. I have not tried reformatting and reinstaling, and hope I done have to cos obviously I dont want to lose my files (although I will if its the only option, its better than having a totally useless PC!!!).

Presumably this was initially a software issue of some kind- but has it become a hardware issue? My hardware is about 18 months-2 years old.

What do you experts suggest? Im tremendously grateful for ANY advice or help. :) :)

Johnny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice