1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Not loading past Welcome Screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jreg, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jreg

Jreg Thread Starter

Specs:
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
    Intel Quad Core Processor (Q66 something)
    6G Ram
    LanParty DK X48 Series Motherboard
    ATI 4870 Graphics Card

Problem Scenario -

I come home today and find out that the power shut off today due to a small aircraft crashing into some telephone poles near my house...... I go to restart my computer (which was plugged into a surge protector) Starts normally and begins loading windows. I click on my Account and everything starts up but everything is taking forever to load. I thought that was odd so I opened up Task manager to see what was utilizing so much of my processor. I then receive an error message that regretably I didn't write down.... something like Unable to locate EXPLORER.EXE. After that everything pretty much ground to a halt so I restarted the computer hoping it would go away. The computer restarts and I get the loading Windows screen and then the little Vista round symbol pops up a second before I should be able to click on my account to log in. After the nice little glowing vista symbol shows itself though, I get a black screen with only my movable mouse on it. (I cannot bring up task manager, I already tried) Every time I restart it now I get the same issue, windows loads all the way up to the moment my user accounts should show up then it goes to black.....

Things I have already done:

1. Someone said press Alt Ctrl Del and try to force it to run Explore.exe.... this did not work as Alt Ctrl Del did nothing while on that black screen.

2. Use the Windows Install disc to run a repair. I did and selected the startup repair. I let it go through it's thing and restarted but to no avail.

3. Took out my CMOS battery and put it back in and restarted to no Avail. (Some one suggested it???)

I can do a fresh install but there are things that I would really like to take off the computer..... I suppose I could always put my hard drive in my hot swappable bay and burn the data to discs?? Although the bay is at someone's house at the moment.

So pretty much is there anything I can do to fix this issue where Explorer is not initiating (at least I think that's the problem) ?????

Thanks for any and all assistance!

2. joeten

joeten

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The drive may be corrupted and if you haven't tried running chkdsk /r on it, that might be a good idea.

But before you opt for the clean install you might want to give this a shot >>

How to perform a Manual System Restore in Vista

1. Boot to the Windows Recovery Environment and select the Command Prompt

2. At the prompt enter the following commands:

cd windows\system32\config

3. At the prompt cd windows\system32\config> enter the following:

ren default default.old
    ren sam sam.old
    ren system system.old
    ren security security.old
    ren software software.old

cd regback

4. At the prompt C:\windows\system32\config\regback> enter the following:

copy default c:\windows\system32\config
    copy sam c:\windows\system32\config
    copy system c:\windows\system32\config
    copy security c:\windows\system32\config
    copy software c:\windows\system32\config

5. Close the command prompt window and reboot the computer

----------------------------------------

You can also try the normal System Restore procedure from the Recovery Environment and that may give you different dates to choose from -- but sometimes the "manual" one works when the other fails.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice