1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows not seeing new or old harddrives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by technochik, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technochik

technochik Thread Starter

I bought this hybridgear laptop several years ago (before the BBB said they were bad). About 9 months in, the laptop started booting inconsistently. Like most from hybridgear, my laptop was built with used harddrives. When it finally died, I built a new desktop and just let the laptop sit dead for a long time (heard that if you sent it to hybridgear you'd never get your computer back). Recently I had some funds and took it to a local shop and asked them to troubleshoot the booting errors (received different messages with each boot). Shop told me that the boot drive was bad so I told them to order and install a new harddrive, same make and size. He installed it and asked if I could install the operating system myself. Like the dummy I am, I said sure. When I picked it up, he said something about not knowing how to load new drivers since my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. I got it home, booted it up, the BIOS recognized both 60G harddrives, I popped in the Windows XP disk and started the install, but there are no harddrives found on the screen where it asks where to install the OS. So I'm assuming Windows needs a driver or something for my harddrives? Not a clue where to start...so much for being a technochik, eh? Anyone able to help me figure out where I need to start?

2. technochik

technochik Thread Starter

I tried to define a new drive during the Windows XP pro installation, but get the error "setup could not find a floppy drive on your machine to laod OEM drivers from floppy disk". Anyone know how I get around this when my laptop has no floppy drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice