1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows not working

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by punkybunge, Jul 1, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. punkybunge

punkybunge Thread Starter

First Name:
    Nola
    I don't know if this is the right forum or not. Maybe you can redirect me if it isn't. I have an Acer touch screen laptop that I got several years ago. For some reason it just quit working so I've had it put up. I got it down the other day and charged it up and it is working again. Partially anyway. It will not let me connect to the internet. Also will not let me update anything. On system protection it gives me a pop up reading, unexpected error in property page. Volume Shadow copy service used by system restore is not working. Nothing with Windows is working. Should I uninstall it and try reinstalling. It has Windows 8 on it.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reinstalling Windows or "recovering to factory defaults" would be my choice. And if this means Windows 8 my next step would be the updates necessary to get to Windows 8.1.

3. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    okay, thank you. I'll give it a try and let you know how it comes out.

4. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    Well I couldn't figure out how to uninstall Windows. I have the product # for the reinstall, but I have no CD for it. If you could let me know how to do the uninstall and reinstall, iI' be very appreciative.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you still boot to the Recovery Partition? Or have a set of Recovery DVDs (or USB flash drive)? Or have the Windows installation DVD?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  7. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    No I do not have the installation disc, It was a gift and I believe it was bought at a pawn shop. Thank you, managed. I'll have to download that on my HP and then burn it onto a cd so I can install it on the Acer. I hope that'll work.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You will need a blank DVD, it's too big for a CD.

9. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    I downloaded the 8.1 and when I went to open it, I got a pop up window saying
    windows could not open this file : file Win8.1_Engx64
    To open this file windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can chose manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer. Then it gives you the option of which box you want. I tried the one where windows went online to pick automatically but it keeps coming up saying that page was not found.
    and I don't know what to choose for this. Please let me know.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Rufus can be used if you are creating a bootable USB flash drive.

ISO Recorder can be used for creating a bootable DVD.

There are also other utilities.

11. punkybunge

First Name:
    Nola
    This seems to be harder for me than I think it should. I am going to go to a different computer and download it and start from there.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice