windows notepad opening files location

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TypeSK

ok.. in my older win95 computer, i open notepad up.

it defaults to opening a file in the my documents folder. so i go to another folder (lets say folder typesk in C:\) and open it up.

if i open another folder, itll still tries to open up a file in the typesk folder in C:\ ,....

but on this computer, win98SE, it doesnt. ill open up notepad. it defaults to opening a file in the my documents folder. if i go to and open up a file in the typesk folder, and then try open up another file, it goes back to trying to open up a file in the my documents folder.

how do i get it to stop doing that, to try and get it to open up a file from the same folder that the previous files was opened from (if that makes sense? it should .. :/ ) ?

That's the default setting for Notepad in Win98SE. Mine does it to.

Hmmm, just taking another look, and My Open window opens up depending on where the file location is, just as you explained.

Ah, I see where the confusion is. open a txt document before opening Notepad, and it will work. if you open Notepad from the Start, Programs, Accessories location, then it will always default to My Documents.

TypeSK

ok...ill have to try that when i get home ...thanks....

so just have to open up a text file from my computer or something? then try it?

yep!!

I keep at least one text file on my desktop for that purpose. I haven't entered Notepad through Accessories in ages. Today was the first time, when I was testing what you were saying!!:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online