1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows NT and NetDDE

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bhughes, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bhughes

bhughes Thread Starter

I am trying to get 2 software applications to "talk" to each other using RS232 communication. I am supposed to enable the "DDEserver" option in the command line of one of the applications. I am not sure how to do this. Any suggestions?:confused:

2. Dan O

Dan O

We need more details.

What are the application names and exactly what are you trying to do. For example, are two computers involved and how are they connected and what type of cable are you using? The reason I am asking is RS232 communications and "DDEserver" are like oil and water they don't mix normally.

3. bhughes

bhughes Thread Starter

The applications are very specialized. We are a college, and we are trying to integrate a CIM (computer Integrated Manufacturing) system with a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine). Both systems are controlled by computers. Both computers are on the same network. The CIM system is running W2000 Pro, the CMM is running NT. The CIM software is called OpenCIM, and it communicates with periferals (machines and equipment) using an intermediate control, which uses COM ports. The CMM is running software called Apogee (an adaptation of the French software "Metrologic2"). This software has the provision for RS232 communicate. What we need to do is get the CIM to tell the CMM to run a program after a robot has located a part on the CMM, and after the CMM has completed its task, output a good or bad signal to the CIM. Metroligic has told us that this is possible, by "running the .exe file with DDESERV as an option in the command line". We do not know how this is done. This is where we are seeking help.

4. Dan O

Dan O

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice