1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows nt emergency repair disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CP Idiot, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CP Idiot

CP Idiot Thread Starter

Windows nt

Please Help! My Work Computer has Windows NT and It has crased, however stupid me never made a emergency repair disk.

Now eveything I have tried ask for that disk. Is there anywhere on the Internet that I can download this and then take it to my computer. Please Help! Thanks

I forgot to mention that the computer has Windows NT workstation, if I do a new install I will lose all my information and business files. Is there anything I can do besides a complete re-install

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

1. It is particular to your computer.
    2. I have never really gotten it to do a worthwhile repair.

Unless you have good backups, you usually need to do a clean install.

My recommendation is to have two partitions on your hard drive. A smaller one (4 gigs or so) for the operating system. The rest for programs and data.

After you get everything installed the way you want, use a program like Drive Image to make an image of the C: partition. Then when NT fails to boot, you simply restore that image. Usually this only takes about 10 minutes.

You data on the D: drive can be backed up however you like.

3. Tushman

Tushman Banned

CP Idiot, Bob is right. It is indeed particular to your system.

After you've got your OS back and running smoothly, don't forget to make your ERD this time.

4. spiker_22

spiker_22

If you have another workstation machine with same
    hardware try making the ERD from that box. This may not work
    and you could not use the registry recovery unless the two machines were identical in every way.
    You should try this only as a last resort since if recovery fails you will have to reinstall.
    Also I would recommend reading up on ERDs on Microsoft's web site. Also checkout I386.com

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice