1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows NT running slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Khoas20, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khoas20

Khoas20 Thread Starter

I have an AMD 850 processor, asus K7V motherboard. I'm running Nt service pack 6.
    I am trying to get my "DV raptor capture card" by Canopus to work- I'm trying to capture and edit using the Priemere software. The problem I'm having is it captures for only 30 seconds than stops and a sign comes up saying drive speed to slow. The DV raptor came with a disk to check drive read and write speed- and when I run that it comes up in the red... slowest speed. I have dual harddrives and on the other I use windows 98. The Dv raptor works fine with 98... when I run the raptor test it is in the green- highest read and write speed. So I figure it has to be something with NT. I'm not sure if there's something in the setup of NT that I need to change or fix to make it run faster... it should have no problem with it's read and write speed- there's plenty of free space and it's an 850 processor. I have 256MB of Ram and it's a 20 gig harddrive. (I don't know what a paging file is???)
    thanks...

[Edited by khoas20 on 03-21-2001 at 02:48 PM]

2. inkedmn

inkedmn

how much RAM do you have? how big is your paging file?

3. rogers55

rogers55

Khoas,

Are the Win98 and WinNT on separate drives or partitions of the same drive?
    If they are different physical drives then something might be slowing down 1 drive and not the other.
    Check if another device is connected on the same IDE cable as the NT drive (CD drive or tape drive, etc.). If there is such a device disconnect it and see if it makes a difference.

The paging file is a file on your hard drive that is used to augment RAM memory. You can check its size by right-clicking on My Computer, select properties and then the performance tab.

Regards,
    Roger

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/40276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice