1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows on a disc

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dez_666, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Hey i was just kinda curious about this thought that just hit me. could you image an operating system and installed programs and put it on a disc (like dual layer DVD or maybe a blue-ray disc) and then boot from it? :cool:

or something like that?

2. cancon

cancon

Yep.;)

I got linux doing that.

3. Goku

Goku

Probably through an image burning program like Acronis True Image or something of that sort. Never really tried it out so I don't know much about it. Try it out and see if it works.

4. smbd

smbd

Yes,Acronis True Image can help you with that.
    You can back up your OS and programs to a disk and then restore it.
    MORE: you can back up your personal setting and e-mails.

5. wmt814

wmt814

You could use PE Builder to make a bootable live Windows cd from a windows installation cd. It supports Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. You could also download and burn a Linux live cd like Knoppix.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you mean run Windows and applications from a DVD as though it were a hard drive, maybe. It would have to be a DVD-RW, and the drive letter would have to be the same as Windows and your applications think they are installed on. As you run Windows it is constantly writing to the registry, log files, and the pagefile (whuch would also be on the DVD). So if it works at all, it won't work for long because DVD-RW disks have a limited rewrite life time of about 1000 cycles.

I forsee another glitch. Your DVD burner software (which would have to be running on the DVD) would have to start instantly, but it can't because Windows needs to be running to start it. Otherwise Windows can't write to the registry.

7. dez_666

dez_666 Thread Starter

Well yea, i dont imagine doing that i meant having it set up as totally portable, like using another removeable media device as the registry..if you could get it to do that. you'd need some serious cracking :rolleyes:
    and also i think it would be hard for a drive to read and write from a dvd at the speed it would require. i meant using something read only maybe =]
    or maybe having a preset configuration where there would be a read only registry on the disk and any new keys would be temporarily written to the ram ;)

im not saying something easy like linux on a disc cos i know they have that, im saying like having a image of your pc's current windows configuration.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Bart PE is your only free option. It works quite well. It doesn't quite work they way you want it too. You have to build the ISO to burn onto the CD or DVD. I have made plenty of Bart PE discs.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice