1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows on NVMe

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hammerhead145, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hammerhead145

hammerhead145 Thread Starter

A quick question. I have an Asus P9X79 LE motherboard with a 3960X CPU and would like to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on a Samsung 960 PRO PCIe NVMe drive using a PCI Express to M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter. I know Windows 7 does not have native support for NVMe but I have Samsung NVMe drivers for use during an install via F6. Or another option would be to install the drive as a secondary one then install drivers, then clone the OS to the NVMe and try to boot to that. I guess my main question is, will the P9X79 LE support NVMe as a boot drive? Thanks.

P.S. Absolutely not going to use Windows 10…..ever

2. managed

managed Allan

3. hammerhead145

hammerhead145 Thread Starter

Sorry, you are right. I'm probably thinking of XP. In any event, the question still stands, will the Asus P9X79 LE Motherboard support NVMe as a boot drive

4. managed

managed Allan

Yes F6 is for XP.

I don't know if it will boot from an NVMe drive but I think you can safely try to install 7 onto it if you disconnect all other hard drives first, that will ensure everything goes onto the NVMe, with other HDDs connected that may not happen and could mess up your present install.

I think you will have to 'slipstream' the NVMe drivers into the Windows 7 install media, you should be able to do that with NTLite :- www.win-raid.com/t750f25-Guide-Integration-of-drivers-into-a-Win-image.html

Also I think you will have to put the NVMe drivers into both install.wim and boot.wim, see at the link for more details.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184970