1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows only boots in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hypnotics, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hypnotics

hypnotics Thread Starter

Hello.

I've had this frustrating problem for a while now.

My windows XP doesn't let me boot into normal mode. It shows the windows loading screen and then it just goes black.

I can log into safe mode and try a system restore, and it will let me log into normal mode but the next time I reboot I have the same problem.

I tried repairing, and then reinstalling windows but to no avail. I can log into normal mode once or twice, but after a while it happens again. And I don't do anything meanwhile.

It might be useful to mention that I have ubuntu installed as well and am dual booting with GRUB, even though I don't think that's the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hypnotics

hypnotics Thread Starter

Help, anyone? :confused::(

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Hi, having also had a similar experience, i found that the only way i could sort it out was to run killdisk on the partition that contained windows then formatting and reinstalling windows, i believe that some info remains on the partition under normal install, i have UBD 2005 that has killdisk(free version) on it, i too have ubuntu on a dual boot system but so far no problems with it, fraid that's all i can suggest.

Bill

4. jackiboi

jackiboi

press the windows button and r to get the run box up

type in msconfig.exe and then from the menus at the top select boot

and on tht page somewhere it should say safe boot and be ticked, untick it

if not i have no idea

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice