1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows only detecting 127 MB's of 250

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by black ballon, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

I recently purchased a seagate HDD for my computer.

And I just did a fresh install of XP on it, but XP is only picking up 127 MB's of the HDD.

I've updated to service pack 2 and installed with no luck, and the cd that came with the drive doesnt have software since it says windows should detect it.

Help would be much appreciated thanks.

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You need to update the BIOS to be able to recognise the remaining drive space.

Just go to the manufacturer's website and download and install the latest release for your model computer.

Be careful, though. A BIOS update can render your computer inoperable if it is done incorrectly or interrupted by power outage or other circumstances. You may want to pass this on to either a knowledgable friend or a reputable store technician.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I doubt it is a BOIS issue, but rather the drive was formatted using a non-SP1 or SP2 CD and then later upgraded to SP2. Solution would be to use a third party utility like Acronis True Image or Partition Magic to enlarge the partition. Or clean reinstall XP with SP2 already on the CD.

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    If the BIOS is dated earlier than 2002 (I think), the only way to allow the remaining space to be recognised is to do a BIOS update.

One way to test is to go into the BIOS and check your hard drive space. When you turn your computer on, somewhere down the bottom of the screen is something like "Press <F2> to enter Setup" (or <DEL> or something like that).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice