1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows only starting in safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by moonrocket, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moonrocket

moonrocket Thread Starter

Hi all..this is a biggy, so here goes!

Aunty had a minor problem with the display properties of her system...a workmate offered to fix it, so she duely handed over the entire system with all the discs etc.

He returned the system having fixed that problem, as well as installing some extras that she doesn't want/need and now windows is refusing to start up in normal mode.

I've had a scour of the system and tried all the things I'd have done to my own, so excuse the really long post, but I want to give all the detail I can....

She had nothing but windows, jedi knight and a las vegas game on the system, so the obvious thing was to simply re-install windows....when I started looking around, though, he'd put Norton on. I know a lot of my fathers probs have turned out to be caused by Norton, so I removed it and all references to it.

He also installed a truckload of cdr software....she doesn't even have a writer!

The big problem, though....for some reason, he installed 98se, when she was running basic 98.

We have the discs for 95 (which she's never used, but the disk was with the system when she bought it) and 98....but we cannot install 98 as it's older than what is on the system at the moment, so we get a message telling us that installation will go no further.
    I tried to boot from the 95 floppy, but it part loaded, then said there was a problem.

After I uninstalled the NOrton stuff, it cured the base problem of having to start in safe mode, but had this new problem, whereby we got a message that something was deleted the system.ini wanted to find....hit a key and continue....all ok.

My husband had a play around with the system....nosing around with explorer. He went into the cd of 98 that way and found the setup file, ran it and hoped for the best....it ran ok, installed 98 again but still the system information screen says 98se still and now the boot up problem has returned.
    We tried the step by step boot, but it gets to a certain point then says it needs something that's been deleted and won't go any further.

I thought a restore of windows would be enough to solve all the problems, but it doesn't seem possible to do so.

This is a mega old system, but it does what aunty wants, so if we can cure the probs it would be handy!

She has an AMD kx 3d processor and 64 mb ram.

She has 2 hard drive (I don't know if it's actually 2 or just a virtual split of one) one is labelled system and is 3.98 gb, the other is labelled backup and is 2.14gb both are fat 32.

I've given all the information I can think of that's relevent, so excuse the long-windedness! I don't want to have to keep coming back with a little more info on this or that!

Oh, yeah.....we have defragged/scandisked the system.....that didn't help!!

2. brindle

brindle

I didn't read the entire post just went on your subject line. If my answer doesn't apply to the problem just disregard it.

Always starts in safe mode
    SYMPTOMS
    When you start your computer, it may always start in Safe mode. This may be the case even when you select Normal on the Startup menu, or when you click Normal startup on the General tab of the System Configuration utility.
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file contains the following line:

BootSafe=1
    This setting forces your computer to start in Safe mode.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, edit the Msdos.sys file by doing one of the following:
    Remove the BootSafe=1 line from the Msdos.sys file.

-or-
    Change the BootSafe=1 line to BootSafe=0.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    In the Named box, type msdos.sys.
    In the Look In box, click the drive on which Windows is installed (usually drive C), and then click Find Now.
    Right-click the Msdos.sys file, and then click Properties.
    Click to clear the Read-Only and Hidden check boxes to remove these attributes from the Msdos.sys file, and then click OK.
    Right-click the Msdos.sys file, and then click Open With.
    In the Choose the program you want to use box, click WordPad, and then click OK.
    Do one of the following:
    Delete the BootSafe=1 line.

-or-
    Change the value in the BootSafe=1 line to BootSafe=0.
    On the File menu, click Save.
    Right-click the Msdos.sys file, and then click Properties.
    Click to select the Read-Only and Hidden check boxes to set the attributes for the file, and then click OK.
    Restart your computer.

3. moonrocket

Here's the msdos.sys:

[Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C
    UninstallDir=D:\

[Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    DoubleBuffer=1
    AutoScan=1
    WinVer=4.10.2222
    ;
    ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).

I don't see the line you referred to.

When we boot, we get the page telling us to press 1 for normal etc, but it says at the bottom that it cannot start in anything but safe mode.

4. brindle

brindle

Try adding the line and of course make sure you give it a value of 0

5. moonrocket

Ok, where should it go?

6. brindle

brindle

[Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    DoubleBuffer=1
    AutoScan=1
    WinVer=4.10.2222
    BootSafe=0

7. moonrocket

I can't change the file, as it's read only.
    It told me I had to choose a different name to save it as.

8. brindle

brindle

thought you had already changed the read only attribute....see post #2
    go back to were you unticked hidden and untick read only then you will be able to edit this file.
    after you have added BootSafe=0 save the file and reboot.
    If and it should all goes well go back and change the attributes to read only and hidden click (I think it's) apply and okay
    Go back to view, folder options, view and once again tick do not show hidden or system files.

9. brindle

brindle

you have two computers right? Or access to another one?
    Not knowing how much computer experience you have let me explain my question.
    If you started this thread with the computer your having problems with then it's not a safe mode problem.

10. brindle

brindle

Where are we at on this? Was the problem resolved?

11. moonrocket

Have 2 systems at the mo, ours and aunty's (the one with the problem).

If I add a line to the file, should I delete some of the hashes?
    It says they are there to make the file the right size.

As per your question about experience...I know my way around the system ok, but I never profess to be any kind of expert. Hence, I have done all I can think of before asking here, as I know I can get a step-by-step guide!!

I'm changing the file now....I'm sure it would be easier if I could remove the SE version of 98 and then re-load windows from the disc I have. Is there some way to totally remove it and start from scratch?

12. brindle

brindle

Don't do anything to the file but add BootSafe=0
    It wasn't a question about your experience but me stating that I have no idea of your experience and if the info I provide is to basic pls excuse me.
    A reinstall is a last option.
    Let us know how your getting along.
    brett

13. moonrocket

No offence taken, don't worry!

Re-installing isn't a big deal in this case, cos we've removed everything but windows anyway.

The main points I don't get are:
    There are 2 hard drives listed, but only one "physical" one.
    One is named "backup". Could the split be contributing to the problem, and how can I undo it?

There are files belonging to win95 still....presumably also 98.
    The system wants to run 98se still.

We've tried to find the se files, so we can remove them and run 98, but when we find-files and folders-98se it brings up all the 98 files...there doesn't seem to be a distinction between them.

We're trying the msdos.sys thing now.

14. moonrocket

OK.
    We are getting somewhere.
    It started ok.

It still says something is missing from the system.ini

I gotta go run the kids to clubs and stuff...I'll come back to this later.

Thanks for the help.

15. brindle

brindle

OK.
    We are getting somewhere.
    It started ok.
    Fantastic,,,,,,do not forget to go back and read only and hide the msdos.sys file.

It still says something is missing from the system.ini
    That's probably a program that was uninstalled but parts of it still reside in the system.ini

As for your other question it sounds to me like one hard drive two partitions and I would suggest you start another thread posting the HD, fdisk,format,install OS etc. question.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice