1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows or Linux & why (or both 1 on each drive)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Duckman69, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

windows or linux & why? or 1 on each hard drive so you can back and forth for when you need to do something linux doesnt support use windows & when you want better security or to use linux based program use your linux system... i know alot of programs arent supported on linux so is it more for feeling secure?

2. Aixtase

Aixtase

I had a dual-boot (well triple actualy =p ) Including XP and Linux. I juggled with Linux Ubuntu, Mandrake, SUSE and Knoppix (though that was live CD).

What I liked with Linux was the quick execution of tasks. Though being a newbie I had a little trouble getting to grips and getting programs installed, videos running etc. Loved the internet side which was quite pop-up-free (this isn't always down to linux though!), and the general feeling that you're more immune to viruses or attacks.

If you're able to install both Operating Systems then I would recomend you do so. Windows wether you like it or not ir too universal to be ignored and linux could prove tricky in places if you're starting up.

Having two Operating Systems is also good in case one of them crashes and you need to recover data ('twas the case for me a couple of months back).

Hope that helped you out a little! Post back for more info if you want!

Ed

3. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

cool, thanks for the info sounds like an alright idea i suppose having the duel system, did you break a single drive into partitions & put 1 operatin system on each partition or 2 drives & 2 operating systems? just curious... thanks

4. Aixtase

Aixtase

Bascialy I have two disks. One for windows and one for linux.

If you want a little more detail, I mounted two disks together in a RAID 0 array to form one large disk (windows) of 300Gb split up into 9 partitions (games, programs, documents, camcorder, system etc.)

Then I have one 160Gb disk split into 4 partitions. 3 for windows backup (i'm screwed if one of my two disks used for windows fails) and 1 for linux. Upon installing linux you can chose where to install to and it will format the partition appropriately.

Also, being the security maniac that I am with my data I sometimes physicaly unplug my windows disks when tampering with the other one so as to not damage them by installing over etc.

So I would recomend you installing linux & windows on two different disks...it's easier too =)

5. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

just out of curisoity why do you have so many partitions? isnt 13 partitions for 2 drives a little excessive? i dont use partitions that often, maby i should have done more research into them, lets say you had a linux & windows partition on both drives & all the other partitions you had for games & such... now your on windows partition you get a blue screen of death and corrupt your drive, would you be a ble to boot into linux on that same drive and access the other partitions likely? recover your games / programs & such, or even leave them intact & just wipe the windows drive (part thats corrupt) and get back to a normal running system? and have you ever encountered having to do this? thanks for your help in advance :D

6. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

any1 else wanna chime in here give me some reasons on why they like linux, just trying to get more then 1 prespective here

7. Aixtase

Aixtase

To answer your question about partitions:
    I have so many because it helps keep order on my computer. I have a lot of space and files so it needs to be organised. If I get a blue screen of death, chances are that only the windows system partition will be affected and I should have any problem retrieving information with the help of another operating system.

Another great advantage: I have just reinstalled windows (yesterday) though not the way most people do it. Having so many file and programs, I decided to created a free 65gig partition and install a second windows XP (same cd) on it. So now I can transfer documents and install the programs I had on the old windows. If I need to check something I just swamp over. Eventually when everything is as I want i'll format the older windows partition and use it for documents or games or something =D

If my drive gets corrupted, having one big partition of lots of little ones won't change much. The drive is physicaly down so partition or not wouldn't change anything.

I also wouldn't be able to recover my games or programs if I were to use a windows other than the one I used to install them.

Any more questions? ;-) Don't hesitate!

8. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

thanks for you response :D you sure you wouldn't be able to retrieve the files using another windows though?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice