1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows OS Causing Mouse Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Grinmore, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

In short I have a mouse issue and I believe that Windows OS is responsible for it.

PC SPECS:
    MOBO: Gigabyte z270x
    CPU:I7-7700k 4.2ghz
    GPU: ASUS ROG GTX 1070
    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x 8gb 3000mhz
    PSU: Corsair 750w
    Mouse: Zowie EC-1B 800dpi 500hz

I have had this issue for over 7 years now and have thus far had no luck through other forums.

Let me make it abundantly clear that the mouse itself functions fine at a hardware level and there are NO drivers for it, when I say "Mouse issue" I do NOT mean the physical mouse I am referring to the "Feeling" of the mouse movement on the desktop/browser/games itself.

The "feeling" of the mouse is sloppy, inconsistent, inaccurate and difficult to work with at any point in games, browsers or even on the desktop it is legitimately a challenge to even move the cursor over an icon and click it. Playing any game at all, any 2d/3d rendered environment is a headache, the movement of just clicking on things in menus is as frustrating as it is on the desktop itself. It feels like acceleration is activated but it is off, I have tested accel in several games and the feeling does not change.

To anyone that is familiar to how a mouse cursor should behave in a game on the PC, you understand that the player should be able to place the crosshair over a corner and pace back and forth and with proper settings and sensitivity the player should be able to keep the cursor RELATIVELY stable. That does not happen with my mouse, I overshoot, undershoot and constantly fight with the mouse. Changing sensitivities or DPI does not matter. If I raise it too high I can not use what little accuracy I have left, if I lower it too much I cannot turn and it DOES NOT matter how low I make it, moving back and forth at ANY speed is inconsistent and inaccurate. It has become unplayable.

Solutions/Troubleshooting:
    1. Reinstall of Win 10 multiple times
    2. Complete system replacement (each part one after the other)
    3. Driver update/removal/replacement (GPU, chipset, peripherals)
    4. Safe mode tested (issue still persists)
    5. All hardware checked for faults
    6. All acceleration removed within the OS
    7. Windows settings are set to 6/11 with no "Enhance Pointer Precision" enabled
    8. All Software checked for viruses and missing components
    9.All Windows Driver store drivers Repaired/reinstalled
    10. BIOS updated and gone through
    11. Heating monitored; found to be stable under load and on standby
    12. Network connection removed during a fresh OS install to test if Win Update was responsible

What I have learned while troubleshooting it myself and with the help of tier 3 tech support at windows, is that when a new profile is made OR Win 10 is reinstalled the mouse functions as intended for 1-3 hours and then I can feel the exact moment when it changes. It reverts back to a sloppy, inconsistent, headache.

While it is working correctly though, I have no issues clicking on anything, moving about the desktop or most importantly there are no issues with aim in games.

As stated above I have had this issue for a long time and have tried MANY troubleshooting tips and tricks. To ensure that the issue is not in my head I have had several people test the mouse movement on my PC and then had them compare it to a control machine. Each and everyone one of them clearly stated that there was an issue present and that it "Just didn't feel right"

If it was in my head I would have accepted it and moved on but sadly it is not.

After painstakingly picking through Task Manager, Windows Registry, BIOS, and even the physical machine I have concluded the issue is being caused by the OS itself.

To me it almost seems like after a fresh install at one point windows decides that it "Doesn't like a driver" so it "replaces it" quietly.

I am open to all suggestions and questions, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I do apologize for the long post but this issue has a long history and as such has a lot of information following it.

Thank you,

Grin~

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If the mouse doesn't even work properly on the desktop or a browser and not cooperating with the default driver, replace it. Get a cheap one. There are 5 button mouse available for $20 nowadays.

3. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

The mouse itself is not the issue it functions properly. I have tested 7 different mice on my PC and all behave the same way. ANY mouse behaves the same way on the pc, Lazer, Optical, Wireless, it doesn't matter.

But the physical mouse itself functions fine everywhere else, buttons are good and so is the sensor.

I'll edit the post to include that MANY different mice were used to clarify that the issue is not with the hardware itself.

Thank you for the reply to my post I appreciate it, I have been waiting for a while for someone to take a guess at this problem, if you have any other ideas please let me know.

4. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

In addition to the above, SEVERAL different mice have been used and tested and ALL behave the same way no matter what kind. Be it Optical, Lazer, wireless, USB it does not matter.

but the issue is NOT with the physical hardware itself.

5. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Support info below if required

https://zowie.benq.com/en/product/mouse/ec/ec1-b.html

ZOWIE EC1-B Mouse for e-Sports

Ergonomic design exclusively for right-handed users. It offers users a bigger room for wrist movements. The shape of the right side of mouse is well rounded. It allows the user’s fingertips to hold/cover the mouse to move smoothly. EC-B Series with 3360 sensor comes in two sizes to fulfill different needs.

Features

3360 sensor
    No drivers needed, plug and play
    Ergonomic design exclusively for right-handed users
    Optical mouse with optimal lift-off distance
    400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 DPI adjustment
    Adjustable USB report rate 125 / 500 / 1000 Hz

How do I change the Report Rates on my mouse?
    Underneath the mouse you will find the Report Rate switch.
    Press on the switch to your preference: 125/500/1000 Hz.

How do I switch my mouse back to its default setting?
    Please follow the steps below:
    1. Disconnect the mouse from your PC
    2. Hold down keys: M4 and M2
    3. Reconnect the mouse through USB

User Manual - https://benqesupport.blob.core.windows.net/esupport/Gaming Gear Product/UserManual/EC1-B/UM_ML_180605091115.pdf

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Do you have any mouse utility, game purpose mouse enhancement utility, that may interfere or modify the mouse behavior ?

7. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

As I said above the mouse works fine, I love the Zowie series and am very familiar with the DPI, HZ, and LOD controls. I am absolutely certain it has nothing to do with the physical mouse itself. The Zowie EC-1B is my second Zowie mouse, I also used a EC-1A and had the same results. Mouse worked find, but the movement still felt off.

Thank you for your reply though, I do appreciate any and all feedback.

8. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

None whatsoever, I have gone through all software and completely wiped my drives at one point. To ensure there was no interference by anything. The Zowie mice are known to not use ANY software enhancement, ONLY the Windows mouse drivers.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate that someone is still working on it to some degree. It means alot.

9. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

To anyone happening to question the validity of my current mouse, I have used:
    Logitech M310 wireless mouse
    Death Adder 2013
    Steelseries Sensei
    Logitech G-303 Daedalus Apex
    Logitech G502
    Zowie EC-1A
    Zowie EC-1B

Over the course of several years I have tested different mice and bought some of them specifically to test if there was any change. Changing the mice has NO effect at all on the mouse movement and it's behavior.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you've had the mouse problem for 7 years was it happening with older version(s) of Windows before Windows 10 ?

And are those mice you tried a mixture of wired and wireless mice ?

A good test would be to run a live Linux OS and see if the mouse still misbehaves or not.

11. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

I have had the issue sense Windows 7 as a matter of fact, I just wanted to focus on Windows 10 being that it is the newest OS for Windows but yes you are correct, this issue has followed me from Win 7.

I have tried a mixture of both wired and wireless mice all on different ports, there was no change between any mouse used at all.

Would you happen to know how to get start with Linux? I am unfamiliar with that OS. I would be more than happy to try any suggestions you have to offer.

Thanks for your reply, it does mean a lot.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Linux live means it runs on a Usb stick, nothing on your hard drive is changed and it will use it's own Linux drivers including for the mouse, so if the mouse works properly in Linux it will confirm Windows is causing the problem.

You will need a Usb stick, 4GB or larger.

Linux Mint is similar to Windows so we will use that, please download this ISO file to the Desktop :- https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=263
    You can choose any of the mirrors listed there, one close to your location may speed up the download.

Then download Rufus to your Desktop from here please :- https://rufus.ie
    I would get the portable version.

Plug in the Usb stick
    Double-click on Rufus file on desktop
    Check the Usb stick is showing under Device
    Click on Select
    Browse to the linuxmint-19.1-mate-64bit.iso file on the desktop and click on it then click on Open
    In Rufus click on Start
    If a window appears asking to download 2 files click on Yes
    Window saying ISOHybrid image detected appears, click on OK
    Warning window appears, click on OK
    Rufus should start making the Usb stick now

Rufus will make a sound when it's finished and it should say Ready in green near the bottom, when it does click on Close.

Now shutdown the PC, power on and tap the F12 key then select the Usb stick on the Boot Menu, press Enter at the next screen and it should boot into Linux Mint where you can see how the mouse behaves.

13. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

I will be sure to test Linux out here shortly I really appreciate the help I have yet to test Linux and I am hoping that the difference will be evident beyond a reasonable doubt.

I will post the results and let you know shortly, thanks again.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I will be leaving here soon, I should be back around 7PM UK time

15. Grinmore

Grinmore Thread Starter

Update to using LinuxMint, I downloaded Linux ran it and worked with the mouse for the last 30 minutes and even though Linux has mouse acceleration on and a different multiplier to calculate mouse sensitivity, it was immediate noticeable that it worked perfectly.

Went on to test a couple browser based games and small downloads and they as well ran perfectly, not a single issue aiming anywhere. I believe it is safe to say that Windows somewhere, somehow is the culprit here.

A good indication that the mouse is working when testing a game is when I get into one and DO NOT feel the urge to adjust the sensitivity for any reason. When the mouse is not working correctly I CONSTANTLY tinker with settings to improve it. Using Linux I felt no need whatsoever to adjust it. It was as it should've been, even with trace amounts of acceleration.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice