1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Password Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by speedracerx13, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speedracerx13

speedracerx13 Thread Starter

My friend is locked out of his computer and can't get in at all. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. BobJam

BobJam

You mean he forgot his logon password - or do you mean he has a BIOS password and can't even get the thing to boot??

In any case, there are a lot of programs out there that store passwords that I would strongly suggest he use if he ever gets back into his computer. And most of them encrypt your passwords.

Now you may be thinking already, "What the heck good is a password program if you can't even get into the computer??". But read on and especially the part that I have in dark red below.

I use a little utility called "Any Password" that I got from ZDNet.

Here's how to use one:

If you have a lot of passwords, like I do, you can't possibly remember them all, especially if they are good alpha-numeric passwords.

These password programs actually will only open if you enter the password for the password program itself. So, all you have to do is remember ONE password to gain access to all the others. Once in the password program (mine has the look of explorer folders), you can then open the folder for the password you are looking for.

For example, I have a folder called "Discussion groups", and in it I have subfolders for TSG, McAfee, Roxio, HP, etc. So if I need my TSG password, all I have to do is open Any Password and navigate to the TSG subfolder. In it are my user name, password, the TSG URL, etc. And I have another folder for email accounts, another for banking, etc.

And the real use of this for your friend would be to store the entire password file on a pen/flash/thumb drive. That way, if he ever forgot his logon or BIOS password and couldn't get into his computer, he could plug his thumb drive into someone else's computer and retrieve his logon password. Assuming of course, he remembered his "Master" password and also that he had the password program install exe saved on the thumb drive too (they are very small programs).

And, he could always print out his passwords, though some people think it's not a good idea to have your passwords down on paper anywhere.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you friend knows the password for the Administrator account or the password for another account that has administrator privileges, then he can logon.

We do not discuss any other methods because it is against the site Rules

4. BobJam

BobJam

Hey speedracerx13,

Yes, Frank4d is correct - the site rules pretty much "forbid" any password issue questions. In fact, I'm surprised this entire thread hasn't been closed by a MOD because the question you posted isn't even kosher.

The only thing I was saying to you is IF your friend ever gets back into his machine, then you'd do well to advise him to get a password program.

But as far as getting back into the machine goes, he either remembers it . . . or he DON'T. And if he doesn't remember it, then as far as this forum goes he will have an expensive boat anchor.

Don't mean to sound harsh about it, but the rules are the rules.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Closed for the above reasons.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice