1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows password

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by americamba, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. americamba

americamba Thread Starter

Windows 10 made made redo a password but now it doesn’t work and does not give me the option to change. It tells me to enter the “challenge” which is A1B2C3. I then enter the new password (which I am sure is correct) but it says it’s repeated wrong too many times and that I should shut off the computer and try again which I do and then it loops again. Is this case known? Can I get out of this loop? Of course l am panicking. I am writing this with one finger on a tablet. Hope you can help. thanks. I didn’t add the Sysinfo because I don’ t know how to cut and paste without a mouse.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Since your challenge I assume is in caps, could your password also be in caps?

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Should this read Windows 10 made ME redo a password

That is not asked just to point out what appears to be a typo, but I have never heard of Windows (Microsoft) asking for a password to be - redone? - on a usual personal computer.
    IMHO in the usual default mode - passwords do not expire and therefore no reminder is issued to change them

Is this a Microsoft account or a local account

4. Macboatmaster

Please be aware that at this stage, I am not suggesting we cannot offer initial help - however you may know of the site rule
    and whilst the decision will be made by a Site Administrator or Moderator - when necessary, you would I thought like to be aware of the rule, if you are not already

5. americamba

Thanks for reply. I don’t know the difference kinds of accounts you refer to. I used to just enter my opening pin which worked with four digits. Along the way of this horror story today I was asked to do an 8 digit password with number and special symbol. I did not change opening pin. I can’t get into windows to do anything to fix this. Ugh!

6. Macboatmaster

Well I will of course stand corrected, but I have NEVER heard of this from either within Windows or from Microsoft - again as I say on a single home use computer ON a network system controlled by an administrator the issue may well be different - how was this message received

Is this the computer with AVAST as the AV - a Lenovo I think

You have not by chance been on any site where there has been a pop-up warning you of some risk to the computer have you and responded to it

7. americamba

I understand the rule. However, something
    I understand the rule. My problem is how to get to do something, a catch 22 situation.
    Hi all, thanks for our help. Forgive my terminology. When i said "windows made me..." I meant that I got the message: "requires windows hello PIN" As I tried to do what was required I got caught in the loop I have described in this thread. Now I realize that a great part of the problem was that Microsoft used the two terms "password" and "pin" interchangeably. Long story short... after many random, clueless repetitions I put the right word in to make them happy. I'm OK now. Thanks for the prompt willingness to help. best, Frank

8. Macboatmaster

Pleased it is sorted

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice