1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dalis, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dalis

dalis Thread Starter

ok, so my in-laws put a password on their computer to keep their son off it when they arent around. stupidly they didnt memorize it well enough or keep it written down somewhere so they now can't get on their computer. ive never had to deal with this myself so i dont know what to do off the top of my head, and rather than waste time poking around their computer figuring it out i thought i'd post it up here and see if anyone knew a solution to getting past the password.

they are using windows XP.... i assume its home edition and SP2 but not positive

thannks for anyhelp

2. Sephiroth2k8

Sephiroth2k8

ok if they didnt set a password on the administrator account you can remove the password from the account your trying to get into.

1. At The welcome screen hit ctrl+alt+delete and you will end up in an alternate login (note it sometimes dont work for me so i just click anywhere on the welcome screen then do ctrl+alt+delete and it works)

2. for Username put in Administrator and hit ok. if it doesnt have a password youll be able to get in. If it does check to see if your in-laws know it.

3. When you get in go to control panel>user accounts

4. click on the account on the bottom of the user accounts window that you are trying to get into.

5. then click "Remove My Password"

hope that helps

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. Sephiroth2k8

Sephiroth2k8

about that link john will there is a warning

If used on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If they can't remember the password then any encrypted files are gone regardless. There is no solution for that. The link JohnWill posted will get them into Windows again.

Fortunately, not many home users encrypt their files.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice