1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gslater, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gslater

gslater Thread Starter

I have been thinking of putting a password on my PC to prevent family/visitors from messing with my business PC. I have XP, SP2 and it seems I can create a diskette to use in case I forget or someone hacks/changes the password. Which makes me feel better. Besides the obvious problem of forgetting - are there any other problems I should be aware of? Is there a better way to protect my PC? I use Webshots as my screen saver and I can password protect that too.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well I do that on my notebook -- it's a good Security feature. The only problem is the incovenience of the login.

Make sure you save the password reset file in more than one media. You can also put them on a thumbdrive -- though if you ever have to use it, you will have to navigate to it as the drive may not be implicitly recognized when you are prompted.

3. gslater

gslater Thread Starter

I'll backup to diskette and USB drive. Do I have to have it set the PC to boot from the A: drive for it to recognize the recovery disk? How does the recovery disk work?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/533043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice