Windows PC Health Check - Windows 11

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
For those of you who want to know if your current PC will be able to install and run the upcoming Windows 11 operating system, Microsoft has released a 13.4 MB-size Windows PC Health Check tool that you can use.

Be aware the tool will not install and run unless your PC is currently running Version 1803 or newer of Windows 10.

Capture.JPG

https://download.microsoft.com/down...55-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi

-------------------------------------------------------

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As in all things with MS, Frank: being able to install & run their OS is one thing; installing and running it well is quite another ;)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Many of the older PC's out there that are currently running Windows 10 can probably forget about running Windows 11.
The newer budget laptops/notebooks that come with a very small capacity M.2 NVMe storage drive will probably run into a roadblock too.
Time will tell how some of these issues will be resolved.
The hackers and tweakers are already getting busy.

-------------------------------------------------

Its got a glitch. Indicates computer has a 320gb SSD. There is no SSD in the computer, all HDDs.

Indicates my computer is not windows 11 ready 😞

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Type tpm.msc in the search box and then press Enter.
This is an example of what you might see.

Capture.JPG

It's what I see in my 4th generation Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitowers which are running Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1081 64-bit.

----------------------------------------------

Dell Optiplex 780 Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, 21H1, Build 19043.1023, Installed 2020-‎08-‎16

TPM.jpg

Dell Optiplex 780 - TPM turned on
TPM-turned on.jpg

Last edited:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I ran the health check and it predictably told me I couldn't run Windows 11. Oddly, they don't tell you WHY they think you can't run Windows 11. Truthfully, I am at a loss, I don't see anything on their list that would preclude it.
I just tried the TPM.MSC and there it is, it doesn't seem to have that. Don't know if an upgrade is possible for this HP computer, maybe I'll stick with Windows 10. ;)

___tpm.png

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I discovered TPM Security was not enabled and not activated in the BIOS in my Dell OptiPlex 9020 minitower, so I enabled and activated it.
After I saved the changes and exited the BIOS and ran tpm.msc again, it showed that TPM 1.2 is working okay.

Capture.JPG

Unfortunately, I discovered that the 9020 is not a supported model and that no Dell TPM 2.0 firmware is available for it.
At this point, it appears that Windows 11 will not be getting installed in the 9020.

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, I guess I won't be rushing out to upgrade to Win11 anytime soon, I have no desire to replace my computer.

I can run it. Too bad since it dual boot and I very seldom run windows. Not sure If I will install it.

Capture.PNG

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I think it's safe to say that it's unlikely that I'll be running Win11 on this computer, at least not without a lot of work! :unsure:

1624808393897.png

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm a little bit ticked off at MS for insisting on TPM, since I'll likely have to buy a chip for my mobo if I decide to move on to Win11.WhyNotWin11.jpg

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I personally don't have much faith in what these PC health check utilities say.

Once the final official Windows 11 is released, we should have a better idea what PC hardware is needed to install and run it.

--------------------------------------------------

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My crystal ball likely needs some polishing, but I think there will be a fair bit of push-back regarding the TPM issue. Still, time will tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online