1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Performance Tab Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BML, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I know that XP is a bit different than '98 but when I bring up the task manager and go to the "performance" tab I really don't understand what everything means. Physical Memory, Kernal Memory, Comitt, Page File.... can someone give me a little lesson in how to interpret my performance?

My system has 128mb RAM. That said, here is what my performance reads now:

Physical.........129580k
    available..........64204k
    system cache...72216k

kernal...............31756k
    paged...............27252k
    nonpaged...........4505k

Page File usage: 126mb

total: handles, 5282
    threads, 298
    processes, 25

Commit Charge:
    total............129584K
    limit.............380536k
    peak............185404k

Is this good? How do I use this info to determine how well my computer is performing? Why is Physical and Commit slightly different?

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

For a detailed description of what they are, open up the task manager and click on help, under the contents go to performance fields overview. They have pretty good explanations of what they are.

Without knowing what you use the computer for, I would say those are pretty good for things like surfing, light gaming, email and such.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice