1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows photo gallery in vista cannot open pictures

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ziakhan, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ziakhan

ziakhan Thread Starter

I am running windows vista ultimate

the problem is when i open an image file (mostlyjpeg ) in windows photo gallery it gives an error saying " Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not
    supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery ". Although some pictures files do open but the majority of them cannot. i deleted all of the pics and recopied from the dvd and cds but no luck . I think they are not corrupt or damaged since they all work well in XP .. plz help :(

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try another app to see if they open first. See if IrfanView will open them and if there is any message about their format.

3. ziakhan

ziakhan Thread Starter

I tried Irfan View and also ACD SEE 9 but same problem. Irfan view gives error " cant read file header. File not found or format not supported " while its in the simple jpeg format. One thing i noticed is that these picture files dont open when i encrypt them (only a few wud still open) . so i guess encrypting them is damaging the files somehow. The source files cud not be damaged since i used the same dvd and copied them into XP and unzipped them. they are all encrypted and works very fine. Even formatted the partition and clean installed Vista. :confused:

4. ggodinez

ggodinez

did u fix this problem?...cuz i have the same problem and ive tried everything i can to fixed it and i have not been able to do so...plz help me..wat can i do????

5. ziakhan

ziakhan Thread Starter

No i m still facing this problem. Have you found the solution? Please let me know.

6. brainwave89

brainwave89

Have you tried running chkdsk /r from the command prompt? Your hard drive may be the issue. How about running sfc /scannow ?

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Full instructions on this is done can be found at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

7. ziakhan

ziakhan Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice