1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Photo Gallery is opening my pics and I hate it - please help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by EAC2010, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I some photos I received in an email and got a pop-up message asking which program I wanted to use to open it. There were really only 2 choices - Paint and Windows Photo Gallery. I chose Windows Photo Gallery and now it is the default that is opening all my photos. I am aware of how to go into the Control Panel to change the default program opening each extension type of file, HOWEVER none of the programs that are offered as possibilities to set as default are the program I was using before. I was using whatever that super simple program is that just comes installed on the computer...I feel silly that I don't know the name of it, but all I can say is that it is no-frills and the photo just appears in a box with a simple gray background. There are a few simple tabs at the top (file, edit, etc.) and a simple toolbar. I need to get back to that program but have no idea how to do it - PLEASE HELP!
    Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Erin

2. Hughv

Hughv

It was probably XP's Picture and Fax viewer.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Does one of these look familiar ??
    I always replace whatever M$ provides with the freeware Irfanview

And Welcome to the TSG forum

Attached Files:

• SS1.gif
      SS1.gif
      File size:
      182.7 KB
      Views:
    • SS2.gif
      SS2.gif
      File size:
      184.3 KB
      Views:
    • SS3.gif
      SS3.gif
      File size:
      189.8 KB
      Views:
    • SS4.gif
      SS4.gif
      File size:
      253.2 KB
      Views:
  4. wowzer

wowzer

It looks like the OP is running Vistacrap. not XP.

I doubt Irfanview came installed as the OP indicated.

To the OP... go to a picture and right click on it. then select open with and see what is available in that box.

Probably just MS Paint...

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I know .. But that's all I could think of that matched the OPs description.

6. Hughv

Hughv

What makes you say that?

7. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for responding! Those screen shots were very helpful, but unfortunately neither of them was the program I was using before Microsoft Picture Gallery took over. The program was definitely something that came standard with the computer because I never downloaded any additional photo programs. The screenshot it looked most similar to was the MS Office Picture Manager, but the screen was actually even simpler than that. Unfortunately I'm not home to right click on an image to give you all more info, but from what I remember Paint was really the only other option. And I really don't like paint or even know how to use it! Argh! Thanks for any additional info you can provide on this matter...

8. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

And yes, we unfortunately are running Vista. However I remember this same exact issue happening on my work computer a few years back (which was XP), and it somehow resolved itself after the computer crashed or something...

9. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    If you insist .. I'll boot to Vista ... I only do this for the Good guys :D ... Attached is what I find in this HDD
    You won't have this problem If you install Irfanview to replace all the M$ junk :D

There's also viewers if you had Quick Time or some others installed.

Attached Files:

• SS1.gif
      SS1.gif
      File size:
      134.6 KB
      Views:
    • SS2.gif
      SS2.gif
      File size:
      168.9 KB
      Views:
    • SS3.gif
      SS3.gif
      File size:
      204.4 KB
      Views:
  10. wowzer

wowzer

click on the OP's computer specs

11. wowzer

wowzer

Did look like this?

Attached Files:

12. moper

moper

Did your computer come with a Printer/Scanner?
    Did you install anything for a Printer/Scanner ?
    Did you Install anything for a digital camera?

moper

13. wilson44512

wilson44512

14. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Okay, I am home at my computer now so I was able to right click an image - the only program options that appear are Windows Media Center, Paint, and Windows Photo Gallery.
    Sorry, that last screen shot was not the program I was using either...So frustrating - it's like the program just disappeared!
    Yes, I do have printer/scanner/copier software installed on the computer, but not any digital camera software. The printer/scanner/copier is Dell All-in-One Printer 944 - the darn thing never did successfully scan and sometimes I get a phantom communications error message when I try to print, but those are problems for another day!
    Thanks very much for the other photo editing software suggestions - I may soon have to give up on this old program I loved and just use something new. Literally all I use the program for is cropping and resizing photos, so I loved how simple the old program was. Argh!

15. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

I just tried to uninstall/reinstall the Dell all in one printer software in the hopes that it would somehow show the old program, but no luck.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice