1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows preparing to standby

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ivonne24, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ivonne24

Ivonne24 Thread Starter

Hi

I have searched the forums and found a few similar complaints, but not quite the same.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520, maybe about 5 years old. All of a sudden it started yesterday to turn off unexpectedly in the middle of work. Sometimes it just goes black and you hear the Windows sound signaling shut off and other times I get to see the small notice saying "Windows is preparing to stand by" I am able to revive it by just pressing the Power button and it takes me exactly to the same spot I was working on. I have it set for Never Standby in the Power Management.

I have cleaned the keyboard and fans. I tried to do a restore to an earlier date (not possible). I did a whole Scan disk , the one where you fix bad sectors and restores the bad sectors in Windows. I have done defrag, scan disk . Well... I dont know what else to do. Can anyone please give me some other ideas? I cannot spend a lot of money since I am currently unemployed and trying to make a living from my computer doing graphics, but cannot spend big amounts of money. I will have to try myself as much as I can. My computer has 4G Ram. It has Windows XP.

If anyone can help please I will be forever grateful.

Thank you so much

Ivonne

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Ivonne...please take a look at this blog. Especially read the top area over the comments. There is an area for posting your questions and comments at the bottom. The entire blog is devoted to automatic stand by issues, so maybe it will be of some help to you:

http://fivepercent.us/2008/08/15/windows-xp-standby-and-hibernate-problem-update-82008/

I installed the freeware program (no promotions here) Slawdog Smart Shutdown as mentioned in the blog. That was the beginning of the end of stand by problems for me, although I don't attribute it all to the program. It just gave me a little breathing space to study the problem deeper and determine which processes interfere with the service...

That said, this is one type of behavior I would associate with a possibly failing hard drive. The stand by response could be a Windows response to the hard drive having trouble reading itself? Not sure, but, if you can find the manufacturer of your hard drive (plenty of tools out there to help with this), you can Google "{your hard drive manufacturer} hard drive test software". The manufacturer will probably have a test you can run.

Also, you can run a chkdsk /r. To do so, open My Computer->right click your main drive->select Properties->select Tools tab->check both boxes and click Start. This will schedule a chkdsk for your next boot with the repair feature enabled.

You could have failing RAM, too. You can check by booting your machine with 1 stick only installed at a time to see if it will boot. You can also use MemTest to check the RAM:

http://www.memtest.org/

If you are looking for a great stand alone tool that will give you the edge with problems (contains MemTest and many others), I recommend downloading and burning Hiren's BootCD. Amazingly this is free. The CD contains a grouping of over 200 tools, including a tool called mini XP that will give you access to your important files on your hard drive so that you can back them up in an emergency. Many, many excellent tools. Visit here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Just burn and pop the CD in on boot, and you go straight to the menu. Also, if you are having a problem, you can Google to find out which tools to use in Hiren's. You can even easily run a chkdsk /r from the disk. Highly recommend this...

3. Ivonne24

Ivonne24 Thread Starter

Thank you sooooooooo very much for this post. I will look into all of this and go into the links too. I downloaded a registry cleaner program (before seeing your reply) and it seems to have stopped,I have to wait a few days and see how it goes. this has never happened before. Odd thing is that when I took my husband's laptop to check the forum because mine was turning off and on the same thing started happening with his completely perfect laptop.

I searched more forums and there was a thread in one that also mentioned that static electricity could trigger the power shut down. I know I am always getting zapped by metal everywhere I go specially if the weather is too hot or too cold. It is weird it also was doing the same but without the "windows preparing to standby" warning. It did it for about two hours and where I am is really hot today . His laptop was also turning on and off while I was using it. I gave it back to him to see if it would stop it and hasn't done it again. I also installed in his laptop the same registry program. I dont know if it stopped because of the program , but it has been almost 3 hours it hasn't turned off again (mine) .

I will be back if this happens again, but I will make sure I visit the blog and try to burn the CD with the programs you suggested.

Thanks again so much. I truly appreciate your time and effort

Ivonne

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

You're welcome...

Highly recommend staying away from the registry cleaners. The philosophy behind the tools is somewhat akin to invading 5 countries, because one of them might be an enemy. The idea is great, but it needs development. Wait for registry cleaning to become popularly fool proof. Until then, it's plain and simple dangerous, and it breaks (literally) PCs.

Not sure, but I would not at all be surprised if your on/off problem is being triggered by a roguerish registry "cleaning" cleaner.

For streamlined performance, I would say start with a good program that removes your temporary internet files and run it on a schedule (daily) or when you boot (remove only temporary internet files). I find on a schedule is better, but that means the laptop has to be plugged in and on standby. Works great for me, but it took some doing to get to that point, especially since auto stand by is a little flaky. Also, I am on a desktop. The same approach should be used with defragmenting. I run a defragmenter every night while I am asleep automatically on a schedule. Plenty of good ones out there with scheduling capabilities. I use AUSLogics Defrag (No promotion intended :))

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice