1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows pro 2k in loop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rufusr64, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rufusr64

rufusr64 Thread Starter

Hi, I have this problem with my laptop....
    I turn it on and its runs the splash computer brand screen and then moves on to the windows 2000 pro screen, then, I get this blue screen that appears and disappears too fast for me to catch it and then I get the black screen, then, the cursor blinks in the upper left hand corner and this message pops up

"invalid boot.ini file
    Boot from c:\winnt\"

I have tried booting from the cd, but when I finally get to the setup screen, I choose R and then Choose fast recovery and get a message stating that I need an "emergency recovery disk". I also tried putiing in the 1st disk of the 4 boot disks for win2k, and had no luck there either.

How do I make or find an emergency recovery disk?

Obviously, the boot.ini file is missing. I'm assuming I have been sucked into a virus vortex of some kind.

Would anyone happen to know how to help me? I would greatly appreciate any source of help.

rufusr64 :( :( :(

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy rufusr64...

Follow the directions here Nt boot disk, it should let you create a boot disk that will load the OS so you can copy the Boot.ini...

3. rufusr64

rufusr64 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply Jedi Master! I will give this a try tomorrow. Let you know then.

:cool:

rufusr64

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...let us know how it goes...

5. rufusr64

rufusr64 Thread Starter

Hello Jedi Master, unfortunately, the laptop is still not booting up. I know have the "blue screen of death" and it mentions the word ntoskrnl.exe. I'm feeling rather doomed at this point. I tried booting with the win2k cd and the emergency disks and wind98 bootup disk, and nothing has worked.

Any other ideas?

...soon to be C3P0 parts, rufusr64

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Sounds like a repair install might work, when booting from the W2K cd don't choose the first repair option, choose the second, if that doesn't work, sounds like a format then install...

7. Rache

Rache Banned

If you can get into safemode command try the cmd (sfc) option, it's worth a try.

8. mobo

mobo

Jedi _master i believe is referring to the folllowing process...

With the cdrom booting up you select install, then you will be prompted to enter the repair console in the next screen. Do not enter the repair console here but continue on by selecting install(i believe the command is f3)Then you should be presented with the listed operating systems on your pc . This should give you the option to repair those installations. This way it will rewrite over the entire operating system but will leave your installed programs intact. The only difference i have seen using this method is that it wipes out every windows update..

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy motherboard...

Yep exactally what I was referring to :D...

rufusr64...

The Boot disk that you created from the instructions, was the floppy formatted from a working W2K install ?

You can't use a formatted floppy from a W98 install, it has to be a floppy formatted from W2K...

10. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Open Backup. Start, programs, accessories, system tools, backup.
    On the Tools menu, click Emergency Repair Disk.
    Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
    You will need a blank 1.44 MB floppy disk to create an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
    The repair process relies on information that is saved in the systemroot\repair folder. You must not change or delete this folder.
    To start Backup, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.
    Choosing Also back up the registry to the repair directory will save your current registry files in a folder within your systemroot/repair folder. This is useful if you need to recover your system in the event your hard disk has failed.

You need to update this disk when you install/remove applications.

11. rufusr64

rufusr64 Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks to all of you for the plethora of information!

I did create the emergency disk from another computer that is running win2k.

I select f12 to boot from the disk and ran the recovery, but it still would'nt work. I kept getting the blue screeen.

I did have some luck with a third party software that allows me to view my files, and was able to copy a boot.ini file but when I tried to restart, I hit f12 and hten i get the blue screen....Datestamp 3as7as60-ntoskrnl.exe.

I'm thinking that I need to f disk and then reinstall the os and any programs. UGH!!!

12. cybertech

Since you can now access the drive, try replacing the ntsokrnl.exe.

13. Rache

Rache Banned

Motherboard, I tried to repair my w2k os on 'c', but using this method it didn't overwrite the caput os, instead it installed another w2k on same drive, so no access to progs etc.

14. rufusr64

rufusr64 Thread Starter

I thought about replacing the ntsokrnl.exe, but it just seems sorta scary too me! I figure it is healthy for the drive to get roto-rootered once in awhile!

Thank you all for your help!

15. cybertech

You're welcome. Good Luck!

:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice