Windows Problems Big Time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Berwyn

O.K I have a HP Pavilion 1.1 GZ computer that was running Windows XP, the machine suddenly stopped working and an error that says no OS has come up so then i tried to install windows 2000 pro and that was unsuccessful, i then tried to use the Win XP boot disk and that did not work then i tried to boot using the Win 98 boot disk just to get to command prompt screen to do a format of the disk and that does not work because I think the disk is NTFS disk, when I try to format it says no fixed disk but when enter the DIR command it shows the directory. What in the world could the problem be ohh then i tried to get to the CMOS screen but it ask for a password which i do not have, and I have no recovery disk what can i do?

Berwyn

by the way could it be that the hard drive itself is dead, I checed the cables and everything

MysticEyes

Banned
Get the HD makers utility for their site and run a fitness test on the drive. You could try PowerMax , it seems to work well on all drives. If the drive passes, you could 'zero' the drive or do a low level format so as to have a fresh start. Most HP's have an extra partition that can cause problems at times.

If your CMOS is asking for a password and you do not have it, you will need to remove the case of the computer, locate the CMOS battery on the motherboard, remove the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, reinstall the battery and then restart the computer. That should clear the password out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online