1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Product Activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tad Ignorant, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tad Ignorant

Tad Ignorant Thread Starter

Hi!
    A friend of mine bought a used computer and asked me to look at it and see if I could get passed this activation message for them.

'This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can logon. Please ask a computer administrator to activate Windows on this computer.'

I am not all that familiar with XP home edition as I still mostly use Windows 98 on my equipment. They didn't get any disks at all with this computer, just the computer mouse, monitor and keyboard. It is an older Compaq but that is about all I know about it so far.

Is there anybody out there that knows anything about getting around this?

Tad

2. Hikaru79

Hikaru79

To quote the Windows XP user manual...

To help reduce software piracy, Windows XP uses the product activation system, which allows you to install Windows XP on only one computer.

You can activate your copy of Windows either:

During Setup

-or-

By clicking Start --> All Programs --> Activate Windows

If you wait to activate your software, you can still use Windows for 30 days. During this time, you'll be reminded periodically to activate windows.

3. Tad Ignorant

Tad Ignorant Thread Starter

So basically the previous owners did not activate XP within the 30 days. Since I have no cd or manual to activate it with is it possible to activate it another way?

I don't think I can get to the start menu because this message pops up while loading the previous owners settings.

Am I all out of luck or is there something I can do to activate it?
    Tad

4. rude

rude

Email me,I'm a tad busy right now but I will help you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/244128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice