1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows product activation......

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puter hater, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

I was doing maintenance on my desk top and apparently I did something wrong. Must of deleted something important....

My Xp machine has been off for the last 2 days. Started it up this AM and it is stating...

Copy of windows must be activated before you log on. Do you want to activate now?

Just for the heck of it I said yes then it says "I'm already activated" and it shoots me back to the log on screen.

Which of coarse I can't log on because thin it goes back to ask to activate a machine I have been using for 3 years....

This is my Dell machine nothing illegal..

Please help..

thank you puter hater

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If everything is legal then just go thru the steps to authenticate the computer and you should be fine. If you would care to find out before doing any of this please run and post the following:

Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
    Filename = WGADiag2.exe
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    If the results are anything other than Genuine the answer is Illegal version
    Press "Copy to clipboard" and then you can paste to Wordpad and post to this thread
    Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

3. puter hater

When I was doing maintence Friday I must of deleted a file or something. I have been using this machine for 3 years. I was running a spyware program looking for spyware and adware stuff like that. I must of deleted a file when they asked do you want to delete.
    I don 't mean to be stupid but how do I down load load or do anything if I can't log on to my own machine?

4. puter hater

According to DELL I have to renstall. So now because I do not have back ups I have to get my stuff off my hard drive before I can do that.........I think I will kill myself now!!!

5. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

Then back them up to CD or DVD. Do you have another computer to use in order to do that?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Easiest way to back up the data at this stage, is to take the drive out, temporarily attach it to a working pc ( with up to date antivirus ) and copy the files. I find that works best when I attach it to the secondary channel ( the one with optical drives )

You could also put the drive in an external enclosure to copy them . .

I would try a Repair Install first . . on the chance it cures your issue.

This is a good guide to performing a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The question is this, What computer are yu using to access the internet now to post this? If you answer another computer then you have the means to download things and all you said was that you got the activate message when you logged into Windows I should have figured you could not get into Windows. Since Dell apparently told you that re-installing is the way to go and if you are getting the activation screen there should be a phone number to call to get the activation done before re-installing I would suggest going thru the activation it is shorter and you do not have to re-install.

This should be no problem if you are legal.

8. puter hater

I am using my laptop to gain access to the net. Under windows support it said if the os was loaded by a maker I.E. in my case DELL I should contact them which I did. he said because I cannot log on even under safe mode that I had to reinstall. But that means losing every thing if I don't do a back up. Now I have a laptop and I even have an external hard drive like a dummy its still sitting in the box. I will try the repair install from the post above. I do not have an external closure to use unless I could incorporate the hard drive that I have sitting here in a box.

If there is a activation number I sure cant fain it with out calling Microsoft for 35 and hour

9. puter hater

Oh yes I am unable to reactivate....it states Im already activated and shoots me back to the log in box. It just goes in circles that way

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

You could get one of these to put your drive in to salvage files . .

11. puter hater

I do not think I can do a repair install. "A Repair Install is not foolproof and should not be considered the cure-all fix for non-boot situations.
    The below procedure applies only if you can still boot into Windows."
    Since I can not log on to windows I presume repair install won't work? or am I reading it wrong?
    8.00 bucks is cheap enough.

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

A repair may or may not cure the problem you are having . . but considering where you are now . . the only other option is a clean install . . .

boot from the XP CD and see if you can repair it . . follow the guide I gave . .

13. puter hater

The CD states reinstallation CD xp Home edtion. That is the correct cd I would use?

Also by doing this it won't deletethe hard drive will it?

sorry for the xmas avatar. My regular avatar is on the desk top which of course I do n't have access to. (-:

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes

No . . it will not if you follow the guide . .

15. puter hater

Ok Ill give it a shot

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/533382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice