1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Protection Error? Need help *asap!*

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Boland, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boland

Boland Thread Starter

I can't boot up. it loads windows in safe mode, but when I try to boot up normally it goes to a blue screen that says "Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer. System Halted." Does this everytime I try to boot up in normal mode!
    It's on WindowsME. Anyone know how to fix this? There has to be a way to fix it I guess, because I can see all my files when it's booted fine in Safe Mode. I can't reformat. I NEED my files for work and everything. I'm screwed if I can't get my stuff!!
    I'm posting this from my friend's computer.

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Can you boot it in safe-mode, then go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, then click on Device Manager, and expand the entry for "Display Adapter". What kind of display adapter do you have?

Also, while in safe-mode, go to Start, Run, and type in MSCONFIG. Then click on the Startup tab. What do you have listed there? Do you have an anti-virus program starting up automatically?

Columbo

P.S-I don't have a machine running ME, so these instructions might need to be altered slightly....(in case they're a little off) :rolleyes:

3. jm100dm

jm100dm

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you can get into Safe Mode, try a restore point to see if that does it.

Have you recently installed anything new? Upgraded drivers or uninstalled a program? And changes at all.

If you do not want to try the restore, you might use MSConfig to disable loading everything in the startup group except what is needed to run System Restore and see if you get into Windows. If so, something in that group is causing the problem. You will then reenable one at a time to isolate the culprit.

Or you may use MSCONFIG to load only the VGA video Driver.

Msconfig>Advanced>Check the box to load the VGA driver. Restart to Windows.

If Windows Loads it will look like Safe Mode because you have the VGA drivers loaded and not the usual Video Drivers. If this works, you may need to remove and reinstall your Video Drivers.

5. jm100dm

jm100dm

6. Boland

Boland Thread Starter

It is showing 2.
    Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Do you want me to list everything it shows? Everything that it's showing, the boxes are all checked. Yeah, it loads Norton on startup.

7. Boland

Boland Thread Starter

How do I do this? Will it erase my files like reformatting or what?

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You won't lose any data files. But if youhave installed a new program it may no longer be installed, although the files will be left behind. You are taking your system back to a previous date.
    From microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q267951

9. Boland

Boland Thread Starter

Geeze, I really don't want to lose my files. I have important things that have been put on my computer within the last day or so. I see all my files and can open them and everything in safe mode, I wonder if there is a way to burn them on a CD or something in safe mode?

10. jm100dm

jm100dm

No need to . You will not lose your files doing a restore. Only any programs that you downloaded since that date.

You will be fine.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You cannot burn files in Safe Mode.

If you use a Restore Point you are not going to lose your personal files.

You are taking the system back.

Click the link to read more. Here's an excerpt.

12. Boland

Boland Thread Starter

dang, I wish I would have known about system restore a long time ago. Sounds pretty useful. Just for further references, how do I create restore points?

Oh, I tried to run system restore, and it just sits there when it says it's restoring. My computer doesn't load anything or flash or make noise. Wth?

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

14. Boland

Boland Thread Starter

It says:
    Checkpoints that you create before you install this patch do not work after you install the patch.

So now what? :(
    I guess I can't use system restore.

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Apply the patch for the future. Then go back and try the other methods suggested.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice