Windows Protection Error {Never mind}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The Paradox

Alright. I built my own machine and just recently, after perfecting the software end (and after many many formats) I thought I finally had it. First I'll tell you about my machine. AMD 1.333 GHz, 512 DDR RAM, eVGA GeForce 2 64MB MX 400 Twin View, Voodoo 3 (other monitor), Aureal Vortex Sound card, and the rest I think is not as important.

I install direct X 8. Restart the machine. Windows Protection Error. If I don't get the error, the machine lags at the initialization of the second monitor and restarts on its own. I remove the video cards from the device manager and reinstalled the drivers, and it did nothing. I can only start in safe mode it seems. I format and reinstall 98SE. Everything is running smoothly - both displays running, fast as anything, beautiful sound. I get bored and install Giants Citizen Kabuto. This requires DX 8.0 and I agree to install it. Same thing happens. Windows restarts, Protection Error, start again in safe mode. I was able to set the display to min and the colors to 16. Now it starts in normal mode. I try to test direct draw and direct 3D, and after a couple of tries I manage to bring the color up to 256 and go through all the tests (attached). I know I had everything working fine, with both displays and the direct X installed late this summer. The only thing I can think of, which is what I'm going to do right after this, is install DX before installing the second display adapter (voodoo3). That might have been the reason it worked before. I appreciate any help anyone could give me. I will check back as soon as I get this thing back up and running. Hopefully I'll be able to see more than half of this text box! I can't stand this low res stuff. Anyhow, thanks again!

-Pat-

I attempted to Delete this post, seeing that within minutes I managed to see the error I was making. I was not allowed to. Though it does not make sense, it seems that my slowly working my way back to normal and running DX tests, it isn't giving me errors like it did last time. I'm running at high res with both displays. I don't know what you want to do with this post.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online