1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Protection Error/ Page Fault Error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Justinl, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justinl

Justinl Thread Starter

Hope you can help, I am running Windows 98 on a Compaq Presario EZ2600 with onboard video and sound. I keep getting a Windows Protection Error or Page Fault Error every time I boot. The computer will not boot into safe mode, but if I get to a command prompt I can work with the hard drive. So far I have formatted the hard drive, and tested it on another computer and it tests good. I tried replacing the RAM chip with another, and that tested out as well. I doubt its a driver conflict considering the only hardware present is onboard the motherboard. I have tried to disable the video card, but it is not available through the BIOS, or by manually switching it off. The BIOS is very basic, and will not allow me to enter any complicated settings such as plug and play, or ram shadowing. The only thing I can think of now is maybe the Motherboard is dead, however I can still work with files from a command line.

Any Help is appreciated!

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

Seems like you have already done everything I can think of...

BUT, check the following to make sure:

1. Compaq sometimes put RAM on their Sys Boards --- chk for that
    2. The fans on the computer are working ok?
    3. The power supply is ok as well? --- sometimes they die hard

Other than that, it does look like some hardware problem. Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice