1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Protection Error when trying to connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Moemen, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Moemen

Moemen Thread Starter

Hi....

On a Compaq P3 733, 128 ram, 20 GB HD, Network card, PC-Tel Modem, the following happened:

I recovered it to the original factory state. I found that the modem driver is not installed, so I installed it from the recovery CDs. Then every time I connect to the internet, a BOD appears saying:

"Windows Protection error. You need to restart your computer.
    System Halted "

I tried re-installing the driver several times, and I re-restored it to the original factroy setting but nothing new happened. I removed the network card and changed the modem PCI slot but also didn't work. It was working fine before doing the restore.

Anyone has a clue for what I could do?

2. madchick

madchick

I have the same problem. I can boot to safe mode and change msconfig to do selective start up but I still get windows protection error may need to restart. Can't figure out what to do but you may want to read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 188867 or Q149962. It may help you.

3. alina

alina

4. alina

alina

Hi,

I had a similar problem ... Try to reinstall the original factory settings ONLY AFTER you have restored your computer to its original state--no upgrades of RAM, drives, etc.
    Once you have the OS in place, then you can upgrade your system again ...

It also helps to press F10 and create a report, which can be saved on a floppy, and checked later by a professional.

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

6. madchick

madchick

I reformatted hard drive & reinstalled the op system (win98) hoping this would fix any issue. Same problem...

Windows Protection Error. You must restart your computer.

I have also swapped the ram. Finally created a boot disk and reformatted the HD and reloaded the Op Sys. On reboot I got the same message.

So what does this tell me?????

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice