1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows protection error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shaygate, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaygate

shaygate Thread Starter

My mothers computer is an AMD K6-2 400 running on old PS-546(?) MB and Windows 98 SE

She only uses it for internet browsing, e mail a,d the occasional letter hence the only software she has installed is Win98 SE, Word & Excel 2000, IE 5.5 and Outlook Express (OK she has all the other bits & pieces that comes with windows as well). The MB has an integrated LAN card (Disabled) VGA & Sound.

Occasionaly when browsing th net the screen will blank and a message 'System Halted - Windows Protection Error, you will need to restart your system.....' (not the exact wording but you know what I mean !) Hit a key and the machine switches off. This happens at what seems a purely random basis and no other error message is displayed.

Has anybody any ideas what can cause 'Windows Protection Error's or what could be happening to her machine ?

Ian

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ian, Windows Protection errors can caused by either hardware problems, software conflicts or registry damage. In other words almost nothing can be ruled out. The fact that it is 'random' makes it even more difficult.

It is important to copy out exactly any additional information the blue screen may provide, as well as any other error messages that are being received.

It's hard to help with this indirectly, but one possible cause often found in AMD k6/2 processors (like that), is overheating. The system should be shutdown, the case removed and any accumlated dust blown out. The fan should be checked for proper operation.

Microsoft also provides this troubleshooting help for these type errors:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q149962

The system should be scanned thoroughly for any virus infections, and a "spy and adware" remover such as Spybot, should be installed, updated and run.

When updating Spybot, accept all updates except for the PGP and Language tools.

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

3. shaygate

shaygate Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Rog, I knew this was going to be a hard one, I suppose I'll start with the easiest and make sure everything is running cool and clean and then start trying to eliminate the obvious, of course I could always just replace the MB and processor ! these days its nearly as cheap as spending the time trouble shooting and traveling backwards and forwards between her house and mine !

Ian

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the problem is random and not heat related, it would be best to replace or troubleshoot the ram. The motherboard and processor are less likely to be at fault.

There is a software tester that can be used here:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

I would not rule out memory faults even if it passes, but if it fails, then the memory should be replaced. Sometimes just removing and cleaning the contacts will resolve some faults.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice