1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows protection error

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kula, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

Since loading some software, I keep getting a windows protection error on boot up. I have to go into safe mode and after re booting a number of times, Windows starts. I have removed the problem software, but still keep getting the error. How can I find out the cause of the problem and rectify it?

2. HKEd

HKEd

3. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

It just says 'Windows protection error.you must restart your computer'.

4. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

What software did you load before this started happening?

Try this for starters:

In safe mode go to Start -> Run -> Msconfig - this will bring up the System Configuration Utility.

Under the General tab - put a dot in Selective Start Up, then put a check in System.ini and Win.ini

Go to the Win.ini tab up top and click on the + to the left of Windows - then uncheck any line that starts with "run" or "load" (without the " ")

Hit Apply then OK - go ahead and reboot.

If it reboots into normal mode then it's a program trying to load when windows loads that may be causing the problem.

Let's see if this works first though.

Hope this helps. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice