1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows putting folders I create on desk top

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Flcynd, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flcynd

Flcynd Thread Starter

I can't find any help with this problem. I'm use to using Windows 7 file explorer favorites. Under favorites/desktop I have a file named cyndy in which I created folders for my pics, musics, documents etc. Apparently things don't work the same in Windows 10 Quick Access. In desktop I created a folder named cyndy in which I created folders for pics, musics, documents etc. The problem is Windows creates a desktop icon for the actual folder not a shortcut. If I delete the folder from my desktop, it deletes all my files in the folder. What am I doing wrong? It's driving my crazy. Thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    To get a short cut one must make the folder where it is wanted, then make a shortcut to that folder and displayed on the desktop.

It has always been this way.

3. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You want to put all of your important files in a desktop folder? You don't want to use the system folders in C:\Users\?

4. Flcynd

Flcynd Thread Starter

I don't just want them in a folder, I do want them in C:|Users\. I dislike icons cluttering up my desktop. Please tell me if I understand this correctly, in Windows 10, the new "Quick Access" does not work the same as the old "Favorites" I had in Windows 7. In Windows 10 by creating a folder in Quick Acess /Desktop, the folder is actually saved in that folder that is then put as an icon on my desktop. If I delete the icon, I am actually deleting my files. In the old version doing this did not create an icon for the desktop and my files were actually also saved in C:|Users\. So what I really should do is use the Cyndy folder in C:|Users\ and create any additional folders I want directly to that location and forget Quick Access. Correct? Thanks

5. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

I don't understand what you're trying to do. Your files are in C:\users\<username>. Documents, Music, Pictures.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice