1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows question RE: replacing HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rgraham1, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rgraham1

rgraham1 Thread Starter

Hi, At first glance, this seems to be a simple question on replacing old HD w/ new HD, but as you get into it you will realize that it is much more difficult than you would think-

I have a Compaq desktop. I want to replace the HD in it with a new larger and faster HD. The computer came with Win98. I upgraded to WinME about 6-9 months ago. Everything is fine. No problems with the system.

Here is my problem: How can one get Windows (either 98 or ME) onto the new HD? It seems you must have some form of Windows on your HD before you can put another (the same or different version) onto that HD.

I am not trying to do anything illegal here. I just want to replace my HD.

Can anyone tell me how?

thanks,
    Ron

2. RandyG

RandyG

Welcome to TSG!

The easiest thing to do would be to ad the new harddrive instead of replacing it. There is no problem with having more than one HDD in your system.

After unplugging your system, and when your case is open, you will be able to determine whether you have an open IDE slot (this would be the flat ribbon type cable plugging into the back of your HDD, CD-Rom/DVD, but not the Floppy, inless that is an LS-120) A max of 4 IDE devices can be installed in your machine, 2 on each cable. A standard system would have 2 IDE devices , probably one on each cable. That would be the HDD and CD-rom/DVD. If you have an internal Zip drive, TBU, CD-Writer, as well as some other devices, you might have used all your IDE devices up. Let us know, and we can work around it.

Basically, on the backend of the new HDD, you will see where you connect the power, as well as the IDE cable. Just above the power, there will be about 8-10 pins, and there should be a plastic "jumper" connecting some of these pins. On that case, usually right above the pins, and on the front cover, there will be a display showing certain Pins, and mentioning words like "Master", "Slave", and "Automatic". Make sure the Jumper on the new HDD is set to Slave. You can also check to make certain that your Original one is set to Master. Connect the new HDD. Reconnect the power and reboot. Your system should boot normally, but your system will recognise the new Hard drive. You will need to format it, and possibly fdisk it to set the partitions. If you want to keep both drives, then you are done, beyond closing up the case.

If you want to replace the original HDD, then do what I said above, but after the new drive is formatted and partitioned correctly, copy the entirety of the original HDD to the new one. When that is done, shut down, unplug, remove original drive, and change jumpers on new drive to Master.

Let us know if you need any more assistance, or if I have missed the mark here!

3. $teve

$teve

RANDYG........you took a lot of time out to reply to that,and with very good information,spot on.........i hope the people we all help out appreciate the time and knowledge that goes into this board.
    im sure they do...........good on ya mate.;)

4. RandyG

RandyG

Ta $teve!

Hopefully Ron will come back and let us know if anything was useful.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice