1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows reboots after posting and before xp logo

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Samsarai, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Samsarai

Samsarai Thread Starter

This is my first post here I am usually pretty adept at finding my own answers
    but this one has me stumped. Today I was browsing and heard an odd noise
    from my comp I rebooted and found that my slave 200 gig wd hard drive and
    DVD ROM drive on ide 2 was missing. I had been having file corruption problems
    and random reboots since i bought the machine a month ago. ( I built it myself )
    So I disconnected the DVD drive and rebooted Voila my HD was back,
    I figured they didn't like sharing so I decided to put the DVD drive on
    ide 1 with my master and make the 200 gig drive a single on ide 2.

I did that and rebooted, ouch big mistake now even if the ide1 only has
    the master drive it gets to the logo does not display it and reboots. I have run
    the repair function chkdsk /r from the original xp disk, repaired from the
    setup to no avail I then put the disk in another machine as a slave and
    it was fine I ran chkdsk and seagates (it is a seagate) disk doctor tool
    and no errors were reported I have two sticks of ddr ram and have tried
    swapping them out separately to see if it was ram and I have changed ide
    cables all to no avail...

I also reset the bios to default.

I am now going to put another drive in and set it up with windows to see if it takes it.

anyone have any more ideas I am open to anything at this point.

Thanks for your help

Update I just tried to boot in using safe mode and it got to the mup.sys driver and rebooted

2. grimreapor

grimreapor

sounds like you overloaded your idle cables/ports have you tryed changing cables and i always told and thought that a massive hard drive of that size should be installed on its and a dvd drive as well not sure but what i was told in ict sumthin with amount of data been transferred

3. Samsarai

Samsarai Thread Starter

I have changed ide
    cables all to no avail...

4. grimreapor

grimreapor

you said you put the hard drive(200g) into another machine as a slave so have you tried putting the hard drive (primary) out of that one into the new machine to see if its hardware or software problem?????????????????????

5. Samsarai

Samsarai Thread Starter

My bad, I know the 200 gig drive is free of defects I scanned it before everything went to h*ll. It is the primary I put in a second machine. I just figured it out I swapped out some ram with a separate stick other than the two that were in there and it booted up. weird!

I hope both sticks of ram aren't bad I'll stick them back in one at a time and test them with a memory tester. Thanks for all the help. I also learned that mup.sys is incidental as it is just the last thing to load before the windows GUI loads. So it could have been pci cards, usb devices, bad sectors, corrupted system files, "bad Memory," :) or a host of other problems related to drivers, memory and hardware malfunctions.

Arrrggghhh I hate computers, too bad I'm too deep to pull out now, sigh...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice