1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lkmiscnet, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lkmiscnet

lkmiscnet Thread Starter

Everytime I leave my 3 yr old PC (Vista pre-installed Home Edition) long enough for it to go into sleep mode, I return and get a message that Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Below is the error code message:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 9f
    BCP1: 00000003
    BCP2: 84B79030
    BCP3: 867D5030
    BCP4: 84DC2940
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072310-04.dmp
    C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-60715-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC33E.tmp.version.txt

Before this all started happening, I uninstalled a free version of Avast and installed Defender Pro 2010 15 in 1 and ran all the scans. I was having some weird stuff happen in Yahoo e-mail and thought that maybe the free antivirus program wasn't catching a virus. I don’t know if that was just coincidental or had something to do with the install of the new software. I also did a couple of Windows updates that I was prompted to do. I started having issues with Internet Explorer shutting down at first.

I did a system restore to a point prior to what I thought were the Windows Updates, but now am left with the Windows shutting down error and am at a loss for how to correct it.

I ran my HP’s diagnostics tools and scanned the system hardware and motherboard and all tests were passed.

I am also now getting an error message in Word 2003 upon opening it:

ZnWordAddIn...Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

My brother thinks that getting Window 7 will solve all, but I want to know for sure if that’s the case before I spend the money.

I'm not too tech saavy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I have never heard of Defender Pro. There a lots of fake antivirus programs floating around, and they do absolutely nothing to remove infections. Before buying an antivirus program, check reviews by reputable magazine sites like pcmag.com. Also take a look at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ which run antivirus tests.

3. lkmiscnet

lkmiscnet Thread Starter

Defender Pro was a free with rebate and tax software purchase from one of the office supply stores earlier this year. Their packaging indicates it was the Editor's choice in CNet and got a 4 cow ranking from Tucows, PC Advisor Gold, 5 stars from PC World, etc...

However, perhaps it just isn't working well with my system or it's that darn Vista. I do like that it is a 15-in-1 program with all sorts of built in protection and has a 2 yr subscription. I did use an uninstall utility to remove remnants of Norton and Avast, so I do not have any other antivirus systems running. I do have Windows Firewall on.

Sigh...I hate to do yet another system restore to remove Defender Pro and with no guarantee that it will fix the problem. However, it didn't seem to start until I installed it, though I did do some Windows updates too. However, the Windows updates don't even show up in my recent updates log and even though I did a previous system restore, you would think I would be prompted for those new available updates. ??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938145