1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Recovery CD doesn't see hard drive nor does the Bios but HD passes self test

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GinN100, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinN100

GinN100 Thread Starter

Windows Recovery CD doesn't see hard drive nor does the Bios but HD passes self test
    I so hope to get some help through this forum. I noticed that often your advice is very detailed and specific which I hope will be the case with my problem.
    This computer is a Compaq Presario V6700 notebook and was loaded with viruses for which we could find no removal software that would remove this virus, sorry didn't write down the virus name but at the point it doesn't matter. We tried AVG which detected the virus but had no suggestion for removal, MalWare Bytes did not solve the problem even in safe mode.

Since the owner of the computer did not create recovery discs when the notebook was new nor did they know where to find the CD that came with the computer (so far) I suggested saving their photos to some flash drives (which we did) and using the system recovery feature to completely restore the computer to factory condition. I started the process and everything went great until the very final button which said "Finish". It would go no further from that point.

I purchased software from Spotmau BootSuite 2012 and hoped that would help but it seemed to further complicate the problem or perhaps the way I used it did.

At this point when Windows starts to load, it appears about to load completely past the windows icon screen and showing the default desktop background, when the error message comes up in a little box saying. "System is not fully installed, please run setup again".
    I go into the bios and set it to load setup in default settings, and it doesn't change anything.

I ordered replacement recovery discs for this model computer and was excited to use it and get everything back to factory condition.. no such luck.
    I had already run a Primary hard disk self check quick and comprehensive and it passed, also memory check passed
    BUT when I ran the recovery disc it did not recognize my Hard drive. The Hard drive is also not in the list in Bios.

I reseated the Hard drive and it made no difference.
    I also tried the R for repair in recovery console on the Recovery CD and it didn't work.

The hard drive is not making any funny noises and it checked out in the self test. It is just not being found.
    I read on another help site that the problem may be in the Hard drive being a SATA hard drive and I am not sure I understand but it mentioned changing the IDE to SATA instead of RAID/SATA. saying that sometimes this is a problem with Windows XP.

I can't do that because there is no option to do that from the Bios . I saw that I could create a floppy disc from the manufacture that might help with that. Do you know what that is and do you believe that might help? I don't think there is a slot for a floppy disc, as it is not listed in product features on http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/e...8308301-78308301-78308301-81141839.html?dnr=1 Will have to find out for sure from hp tomorrow.

I would love to just wipe it all out and start from scratch, but don't know if I can do that. I have the recovery CD but don't know how to start clean because the Windows XP that is partly installed is still trying to load, but it can't get past a certain point.

Oh yes, I tried starting it in safemode
    Also in safemode with command prompt
    and in every other advanced mode
    There was also another error message that came up in one of the tries that said
    There is a corrupt or missing file: WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM I found a site that had step by step instructions on how to get that file back in the proper place but I couldn't find the function to allow me to do that manually.

Any help you might offer would be MUCH appreciated. I have already spent nearly 80.00 on spotmau software and replacement recovery discs for this model. Would love to be able to avoid additional expense as I believe there is nothing wrong with the hard drive. Just something in the registry and setup that needs to be fixed.

The owners of the laptop did not have a lot of information on the computer, mostly photos were the thing they didn't want to lose and we saved those. So I don't fear losing anything. I just want to get this computer back to factory condition. I don't know if the HD having been initialized already will cause problems or if that is a good thing.

Thanks!
    Ginny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice