1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows recovery error with new motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lostockkid, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lostockkid

lostockkid Thread Starter

I have just installed a new motherboard and on start up I am getting the window recovery error screen asking me to insert the Vista disk or start in safe mode/normally etc

I insert the Vista disk and restart and nothing happens - just he screen reappearing. I seem to be caught in a vicious circle and wonder if any one can suggest a solution.

Thanks

Lostockkid

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You have to configure your BIOS to boot using the DVD drive first, then the hard drive.

3. lostockkid

I have set the DVD to run before the HDD but without luck - still getting the black error window with the choice for repair and also starting in safe or last know config. I have run the repair and it runs through but finds nothing wrong but run windows start up. I can get to the C prompt through the installation disk and can see all the files - appears as if it is the start up but just seem to be going around and round in circles.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did the dvd drive light go on when you boot using it? Check the wiring connections to see if they are firmly seated.

5. lostockkid

Yes all is seated correctly. I have also tried the HDD in another machine and get the same recovery window - coudl it be a fault in the startup??

Thanks for your help.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

The HD will not work correctly in another machine even if it boots because during the install of Windows, there are specific motherboard programs installed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice