1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows recovery error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DrGreyhound, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrGreyhound

DrGreyhound Thread Starter

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I'm trying to replace a failing HDD on my laptop (Samsung RV520 with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64). So I made a system image on a portable HDD and a repair disk.
    After replacing the HDD with a new one and trying to boot with the repair disk I am met with the following error:

“This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows.”

The repair disk was made on the system I'm trying to fix. I've searched online but can't seem to find much help. Also, the laptop didn't come with a Windows installation disk, so a fresh install is out of the question.

Thanks.

2. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! I don't know all the details, but I'm assuming you created a backup image of your OS on a external drive and now you want to install that image on a new HHD. I have never used the back up feature in windows. I use Macrium Reflect to create my back up images. If you created the system repair disc, you should be able to boot into the windows recovery mode and use the image you created to restore windows. That's the way I understand how that works.
    Give this a look and see if it's any help!
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice