1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows refuses to boot?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by defnottechsavvy, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. defnottechsavvy

defnottechsavvy Thread Starter

Hi, first time posting. I'm not sure if this is specifically about Windows Vista, but I didn't know where else to post, so please excuse me if I've posted it on the wrong place. If so, either direct me to the right place to post or better yet, answer the question anyway, and I'll be grateful.

I'm having trouble with my computer (hence, my presence here at this forum). While I was playing Half-life 2 on my computer (Dell Inspiron 530, Dual Core 1.6 Ghz processor, 3 gig RAM, 128 mb graphics, more than enough to play it), my computer suddenly shut down. I tried to turn it back on, but the safe mode wouldn't turn on. I tried and I tried, and I tried, but eventually, it just stopped even going to the loading screen. The only things I was able to access was the BIOS and the boot-up options (where you receive the options to go to safe mode, with networking, etc.). Furthermore, the screen seemed all broken, with vertical lines everywhere.

I tried to restore system via the windows' own method, but that failed miserably. Nothing would happen, and the loading bar before options were shown continued infinitely. I tried to repair the damage from the CD that came with the desktop, but that failed. I replaced the crappy processor to a Core 2 Duo E7500 (the best processor that the computer could probably handle), the graphic card to a Radeon HD 5450 (which took care of the vertical lines). Still nothing.

So I figured it was a virus. I had a near-full hard drive, but I said, "screw this" and reformatted the whole hard drive and restored everything to the factory configuration. So, I tried to install back the programs that I had before: chrome, winrar, daemon, pinnacle, etc. Things were taking a bit too long, and a lot of the installs wanted me to restart the computer to finish the install, so I restarted. Then as it's turning off, it stops at a black screen and continues not shutting down. So after ten minutes or so, I restart it manually by pressing on the power button for a while, and the same problem happens again.

I have now run the extended system check, and am staring at the symptom tree, and I see various problems.
    - No sound or audio (I think that's because I couldn't hear the surround system, which my speakers don't support)
    - Problems with fans or system seems hot (i don't think it's overheating, because this is the very first time this has happened, and after a night of cooling down, it should be working fine, which i have tried)
    - abnormal noise coming from my system (i have no idea)
    - cannot boot the os
    - system locks up
    - hard drive errors
    - etc.

I am completely lost, so I was hoping that someone who have a better, more extensive knowledge of electronics and computers can help me so that I can stop watching progress bars fill up.

Thank you.

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Well for sure you are still having hardware issues: 1)You noted that you have Hard Drive issues = not good 2)Abnormal noise comming from your system = not good 3)Overheating from the reports and you say not the fans, but could be your Power Supply Box since you replaced your Processor for a better one and you replaced your Video Card for a better one, maybe your Power Supply box is not Up to standard to take the extra voltage, wattage, etc. 4)While you are at it, you should check your RAMs to see if they are A-OK Hopefully this will help until more experieced users or a Mod. comes along Good luck Ray

3. defnottechsavvy

defnottechsavvy Thread Starter

Sorry, quick fix on my original post: I mentioned the symptom test, and it turns out that's the computer's way to check if the computer's experiencing any common problems, like the ones that I've mentioned. That's not necessarily what my computer's having problems with. Currently, I have absolutely no clue as to what's happening. The symptom so far seems to be that it doesn't boot windows.

My bad, Ray, my explanation sucked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice